Lotus

The crowd watched the family of Taeko surround his body, witnesses to the bleeding hero that saved their lives. The civilians watched with broken hearts, many wanted to get a closer look but everyone stayed back out of consideration for his family. Hitomi and Kaina both shared in gut-wrenching tears, frantically shaking Taeko's body in hopes of awakening him. Tears through the fabric of his uniform bridged more blood to seep onto his skin, painting his body with crimson streams.

The mixture of blood and burning wood plagued the air as did the constant creaking and banging of random metals. Hitomi nearly fainted within seconds, only finding the strength to stand when remembering where she was. They were surrounded by countless villains and while they showed no signs of malice, she couldn't find any comfort around them. Despite her mind telling her to remain alert, all Hitomi could focus on was her injured son.

She had never seen him no bruised and bloody ever, nor could she have ever imagined it. The young boy she couldn't raise was no death in her arms, all she could do was watch and listen to his soft breathing. Hitomi knew that one day she'd have to prepare herself for the day her son becomes a hero and gets injured. However, this night didn't seem natural and only acted as a surreal illusion meant to torment her relationship with her family even further. Tears swelled around her eyes but remained locked away, only visible distress manifested in the form of shaking hands.

When looking back at Kaina, her emotions were much more visible with opposition. Purple mascara ran down her face with choked sobs, believing that her partner would soon be lost to his injuries. A sniffle broke free at the painful twist of fate, her life was given back to her, all in return for the one she cared most about. She held onto his body, similar to how Taeko held hers at Tartarus, surrounded by villains and flames. His body felt heavier as he lay unconscious, forcing Kaina to muster all her physical strength to hold him tighter.

"Taeko." Kaina whispered, only able to vocalize a brief sentence before breaking out into another tearful huff. Never had she felt so alone in the world, even when trapped in Eclipse's grasp, Kaina knew Taeko was out there somewhere. But now, she anxiously awaited for a sudden death, holding onto crumbling fear that prevented her from staying strong. "We were almost free."

Her voice trembled after each annunciation, unknowingly reciting the exact phrase Taeko spoke earlier. Together they rocked back and forth with the somber assassin tuning out the rest of the world in order to listen to Taeko's breathing.

A sudden crackle of lightning in the sky overhead made the crowd look up after a brief scare. From the dancing, thunderbolts descended a man clad in white and gold armor, to which only three recognized. Trekeon landed on a clear area within the crowd, quickly rushing toward the Bi-Han family in the middle. Sparks bounced from his boots as he slid onto the ground, frantically scanning Taeko's body for wounds.

"I'm sorry..." Hiroshi spoke, bowing his head down as a show of respect for the fallen hero. Hitomi's eyes looked at the armored hero with a look of desperation, unspokenly asking for him to repeat the miracle from before. While Taeko still breathed and showed signs of living, his mother immediately started to prepare for the worst.

Before Hiroshi could say anything, the sounds of heavy boots marching against the ground echoed through the streets. From every corner of every block, soldiers donned in heavy black and gray riot gear began to appear. They were instantly recognized to belong to the World Federation. They were the leading military force used around the world to secure cities and counties, every soldier was both loyal and expendable. Fusae quickly began to inch closer to the group gathered in the middle, pulling the three Bi-Hans, Juba, Hibiki, and Kaina closer to her.

"Halt! Everyone remain where you are and spread apart!" One soldier shouted into a booming microphone. This one wore a bright yellow vest over his right shoulder to signify high-ranking status. "You are all gathered past curfew. Information about a wanted hero known as Spider-Man is here. Hand him over to us and your violation of Eclipse's rules will be excused."