Feelings

It was lunch time again. I was sitting in the same spot as yesterday. But, unlike last time I was expecting to not be alone. However, Veronica still didn't show up. Despite the fact lunch started 15 minutes ago.  

      I opened my lunch box to reveal a cheese stick, peanut butter sandwich, and a small container of salsa. Weird, I could have sworn I packed some tortilla chips. Then, I remembered I was in a rush because my mom needed me to find her necklace. I sighed. 

       "Hey, I'm sorry I'm late. Mrs. Norton, didn't want anyone to leave until we finished the math problem." Veronica explained. I could just recognize her voice based on that odd feeling it gave me. "No worries," I reply as she sits down.

         I grab my sandwich to take a bite of dry nothingness. Veronica was now staring at me oddly. It made me kind of self conscious. Which in turn made me feel slightly annoyed.

     "What? You never seen a sandwich before?" I asked. "No, it just looks like you slabbed peanut butter on it." she said. "I mean it looks unhealthy." she added. "So, I'm supposed to be eating a salad like you." I replied. "No. I mean did you pack something else?" she says as she peers in my lunchbox. "What's in the container?" she asks. "Salsa, the one with the vegetable chunks" I reply.    "That's not...." "Healthy," I interrupt.

       She stats to shove a mouthful of lettuce and cabbage into her mouth. And, she chews it slowly. Then, she takes another.... and another till there's none left. Now, she starts poking her fork around the bowl.

        While, I usually liked the silence. This one was suffocating... I wanted to break it. But, how could I? Maybe apologizing, it was worth a shot.

         .... "I'm sorry. It was my fault!" we both said in unison. We stared at each other in shock for who knows how long. Then, she laughed. I immediately went red. What's so funny?

       "God, I was worried over nothing." she says before she goes into another fit of giggles. This made me feel even more hot and I felt sick to my stomach. Did I somehow catch a fever?

        She suddenly stopped and started breathing heavily. Was she okay? Wait, why do I care? I mean I need to kill her. Yeah, I care cause I'm supposed to kill her not lack of oxygen.

        "You okay?" I asked. "Never been better to be honest. Oh my gosh, you look adorable!" she says. All of a sudden my body gets way hotter. I felt like I should run away.

        "Uhhhh.... I have to g-g-go to the Bathroom." I blurted out as I stood up. "Is something wrong?!" she yelled. At that moment I kind of wanted to stay. But, I already was halfway to the door and people were staring. So, I sprinted into the hall.