Suspicion

I was tending to the old shed when my father ran in. He panted for a solid minute before he wheezes, "Guests! .... At the door*pant* They want to see you." 

           Me? Why though? It didn't take long to figure out cause I heard Veronica yell, "If she's not here we can just drop it off! We don't need to stay!" 

          Oh fuck! Veronica was at my house. And she has something for me. I cannot handle this right now.

           I looked at my dad and moved my hands up and down in an x shape. However despite my pleas he yelled back, "She'll be there in a minute! She's just finishing up what she's doing in here!"

           He now looked at me and said, "You know you were always complaining about not having friends. Now, you have an opportunity so go talk to them." I opened my mouth in protest. "Now!" he stated firmly while pointing out the door.

           Well, now I have to go... damn it past me. I gulped as I head out the door to the front yard. There was Veronica... and an older looking woman. Could that have been here grandma?

           "Buenas tardes, are you Haley?" the older woman says. "Abuela! I told you to only use Spanish when referring to a family member!" Veronica shouts. "It's f..." I start. "I think anyone could tell that was a greeting." Veronica's grandma screamed. "Abuela!" "Hija!" 

           Oh fuck! I need to break this up. Four months of Spanish class don't fail me now.

           "Hablo un poco de Espanol! Me llamo, Haley!" I shouted. They both turned their heads towards me. Shit, I think I butchered it. 

           "Well, I'll be damned... I thought bilingual Americans were a myth." Veronica's grandma said. "I'm not technically bilingual though... I only speak basic German and Spanish." I responded. "So, you don't understand this? Mi hija está enamorada de ti." her grandma asked. This made Veronica blush and scream, "Abuela!" 

             Did she say something embarrassing about her? Wait, why am I just realizing now her grandma refers to her as daughter instead of grand daughter? Does that mean her parents don't take care of her? Oh, shit I should probably answer the question.

             "All I got my daughter and you. Nothing else." I said. Veronica then sighed in relief. "Anyway we made a cake to honor how you went to search for a fellow classmate, yesterday. I hope your courage rubs off mi haji." her grandma explains. "It's chocolate! Both the icing and the cake." "Thanks," I muttered. I didn't deserve this....

            "What's wrong do you not like chocolate?" Veronica asked. "No, it's just I don't think finding someones body in an abandoned cave deserves a cake..." I stated solemnly. 

             Now, the grandma was looking at me funny. Did I say something wrong? Or was this a part of their culture? I mean they do have sweets for the day of the dead so....

            "You know I just remembered I had something to do. You two go ahead and talk inside... I have to make a phone call.." her grandma said while handing the cake to Veronica. I had definitely said something wrong....