The Woman

Bruno had been staying in the same spot every night for the past week. The family started to get worried asking him how long he would be doing this and he just said that he didn't know.

Even the townsfolk began to notice and were a little creeped out. They said their apologies and knew he didn't make things happen. But still seeing him every night just sitting there all night was a little freaky.

Bruno one night was thinking about why this was so important to him. Abuela asked him earlier and his original answer was that he couldn't just let her die. But what was he going to do if he did save her? Or if she does still die and he can't do anything to help.

His thoughts were interrupted when he heard a loud splash in the water. He ran to the river immediately with his lantern searching for her.

He found her body and quickly lifted her up abandoning the lantern. He hastily carried her to his spot and pulled out one of Julietta's arepas.

He put one in her mouth and tried to get her to chew and swallow. She did and the wound in her side and on her face healed as her breathing became steady.

She still was very pale having lost a lot of blood. Bruno left his items by the river and rushed to Casita.

He walked to his room and placed the woman on his bed carefully. "Ok ok Bruno you just have an unconscious stranger in your bed. No biggie."

He began to pace and shake his head. "What if she doesn't wake up? What if she does? How will she react? I don't even know who she is?!"

He thought about getting his things from the river then decided against it. "What if she wakes up and I'm not here? I should probably wait until she wakes up."

Bruno sat down in his armchair and stayed up waiting for the woman to recover and wake up.

The woman woke up and took in a big gasp of air. She sat up looking around the strange room. Then she froze at the strange man asleep in an armchair.

She was very confused she had no idea how she got here or how she was even still alive. Maybe the man in the arm chair would know.

Bruno didn't even realize he fell asleep till someone spoke to him. "Umm excuse me?"

He woke up and looked over to the source of the voice. "Oh good you're awake. Are you feeling better?"

The woman chuckled, "seeing as I should be dead and I'm not, yeah I'm feeling a lot better."

Bruno smiled and sighed in relief, "that's good." They stayed for a moment in awkward silence till the woman spoke up.

"So umm who are you and where am I?" "Well I'm Bruno Madrigal and this is my room in my family's Casita." She looked at him shocked, "this is a room?"

Bruno chuckled, "Yeah though I admit it used to be a lot bigger. But I'm not complaining I like not having to climb so many stairs."

She was still confused not understanding anything this man was saying. "By the way what's your name?"

He held out his hand to her and she shook it. "My name is Eulalia nice to meet you Bruno."