Rohan

Rohan was rightly terrified after witnessing the combat. He had his sword ready at his side in case the beasts got closer to Finn, but he hadn't needed it. He glanced at Finn and he saw how hard he was trying to stay calm, he was shacking, but he put on a strong exterior for the baby.

The mages who fought all sunk on their hands and knees, exhausted. Rohan couldn't imagine how straining it must have been. he had always thought that doing magic didn't take anything from the mages, that it came easily. His father thought that the more a mage uses their powers, the more of their souls they lost. these mages, however, Rohan could see that, beyond their physical exhaustion, they were still the same person; granted they wanted to kill him at first if it hadn't been for Finn.

Speaking of Finn, He had rushed to his newfound friends and checked if they had any wounds. Rohan lost himself in the momentary look of Finn's body. The man was lovely, kind, and no monster; Rohan was sure of the latter. Finn didn't deserve the fate he was given back in Lucktov, but now that he had joined his people, he wasn't safe either. Was it the life that those who fled led here? did they have to use their gifts to battle demons every day to survive? 'How could they not hate me?' Rohan asked himself. 

Finn's panicked gasp brought Rohan back from his thoughts. he hadn't realized the mages were back on their feet again, though they looked drained of strength. The black goo the monsters left as they died were moving toward each other. They twisted, glided, and jumped as they merged into what Rohan could only describe as anyone's worse nightmare. The beast had the same red eyes as the others and was also made of smoke, but it was much bigger, towering over their heads easily.

"Impossible!" he heard one of the twins exclaim. " They were never able to do that before" It was Nesta who spoke this time. Rohan never stopped looking at the beast, whose eyes were locked on Finn and the baby. Rohan's hands tightened on his sword, but his other hand found Finn's. The young man flinched at the contact at first but eased to it.

The beast roared and lunged toward them as the others did, but this time, more massive than before. Nesta Called to the winds and an invisible barrier blocked its path; The twins joined in and shot fire and ice, but none seemed to affect the monster.

" I can't hold it much longer!" Nesta exclaimed as she sunk to one knee, but she was still holding to the barrier. " Rohan, take Finn and run! run south, there is a river. Cross it, it will lead you to a small village, you will be safe there." She let out a painful grunt as the beast lashed a clawed paw at the wind barrier.

"But!" Finn went on to protest, but Nesta cut him from speaking " Go, Finn! It is after you and the baby, you must run. NOW!" Rohan could tell she was at her limit, the monster was successfully pushing through the barrier. Without thinking, Rohan grabbed Finn and let him away from the group.

And they ran.