Chapter 10: Love is in the Air

***Avery's P.O.V.***

I bolted up the stairs to my room, ran inside and shut the door behind me. I leaned against the door, trying to catch my breath. When Tyler tried to kiss me (again), I panicked. I'm certain I like him, but I have no idea how to say it.

I know I'm scared. I don't want to repeat what happened with Brandon, and the fear is eating me alive. At least Tyler was there to help me through it. If I didn't have him, only God knows where I would be right now.

Tyler's been my best friend for almost ten years, and I'm scared dating him may jeopardize that. If we broke up, our friendship would be done for. I can't risk that. On the other hand, if we worked out, we'd be best friends for life, maybe married or something.

Marrying my best friend. Just the thought of that made my face burn red hot. I can't be in love with my best friend. It's way too cliche, and it would make everyday conversations pretty fucking awkward. A thought went off in my head. I have to do this.

I'm gonna tell him how I feel.

****

***Tyler's P.O.V.***

I knocked on Avery's door, my guitar slung across my back. I was sweating bullets. What if she doesn't like me back? What if she rejects you? My mind flooded itself with negative thoughts. I was about to chicken out and go home when Avery opened the door.

Her face immediately turned red and she muttered a "come in", stepping out of the way to let me in. She made her way into the living room, me following her like a lost puppy.

"I was just about to call you," she began, "but since you're here.."

"Can I say something first?" I all but pleaded.

She raised an eyebrow in confusion. "Go ahead." she said sitting in an armchair.

I put my guitar in position, strumming the beat of the song I had planned to sing. I took a deep breath and began, "Can I have a minute, I gotta tell you something. I heard that someone likes you, it might be nothing but he's right in front of you."

Avery's jaw hit the floor, her face redder than a tomato. She looked utterly speechless, and I saw her eyes well up with unshed tears.

"He's kinda my size, don't look now cause he's looking. I think you know him but you just don't know that he's right in front of you."

"Baby, you've been talking to him nearly everyday, he really likes all the games that you play, he told me to tell you to see what you'd say, before he jumps in and he asks for that date," I sang, putting all my emotion into the lyrics.

When I finished the song and put my guitar down, I glanced nervously at Avery. She had tears streaming down her face, a wide grin on her face. She stood up from her seat and stood directly in front of me. 

"What did you think?" I asked with my eyes facing the floor, bracing myself for the worst. She lifted my head with her fingers, looking deep into my eyes. Then, she did something I never expected.

She kissed me.

I froze, shocked for a second before kissing her back. She wrapped her arms around my neck, playing with the hair at its base. I put my hands on her hips, kissing her harder.When we pulled away, she looked at me and giggled.

"You like me back?" was all I could say to her. 

Damn, this girl could kiss.

"Of course I do," she replied. "Why else would I have kissed you?"

I chuckled. "You have a point."

Steeling myself, I finally asked her the question I've wanted to ask her for so long.

"Avery O'Conner, will you go out with me?"

And of course, she said yes.

*************************

Two more chapters left, guys.

I'm actually sad about ending the book.

It's 12:22 a.m. here and I'm gonna be writing a lot more tonight. Why must all my inspiration come after 9 p.m.?

I referenced a book in this chapter. If you can guess it, I'll give you cookies and something else (I have no idea what to give the winner,lol).

Vote! Comment! Good night!

-ineed_a_life (AJ)