Chapter Ten

It was the next morning and Selene was at home

For once she was fine with being home, as going to the Autoshop wouldn't aid her confusion.

And Gunnar would most certainly call, she wasn't ready for that.

Since leaving dinner, Selene had one question stuck in her mind. One question that would spiral into a whirlwind, but for once she was open to exploring.

What happened?

He didn't eye her at all. He didn't try to play footsies under the table. He didn't try to find a way to touch her. He didn't use sexual innuendos.

How could she have guessed that he truly did find her attractive?

But it went further than that.

She was special, beautiful, and he called her a dove.

Something that was the complete opposite of her. Serene and delicate.

She hadn't been that way in her heart since she was a child.

"This is stupid," She grumbled in frustration.

Somehow, any thought could lead to the truth of how terrible her life was.

And now Gunnar's strange kindness stirred those thoughts. Thoughts that pressed her to wonder if how she'd been treated was okay.

She knew it wasn't okay.

"Maybe it's time that I question this," Selene murmured, a little fearful of the outcome.

Maybe she wanted to face herself the way Renee's story urged her to.

She opened the bedside drawer and grabbed the journal she bought three years ago.

It was empty, but it wouldn't remain that way.

'Starting with my first vivid memory, let's hope this ends well.

It was my first shoot ever. My father was busy, so my mother took me.

Everything was wonderful. The process was cool, I'd seen movies and tv shows, but never thought it was so much that went into making them.

Once the day ended, my parents were talking. I was in my bedroom still giggly from the excitement.

And then my father found out how many takes it took for me to get the scene done.

I was only ten.

After that day, his stern talking to's and threats, I didn't want to experience them anymore. I wanted my old father back.

And so my journey to perfection began.

Twenty years later, it has yet to stop.'