4| Formality

1st [person. Michael Afton POV.

============

For some odd reason, my chest felt tight. I had lost all neurological feeling a while ago, so this was...confusing...

L/N Startled me so bad that it must have started my heart again!

If I had one.

In my dreams...

I logged off of my computer at 10 am. My work went by surprisingly fast, despite those voices taunting me in the wents to my left and right. I constantly have to power off my computer and look into the vents just to make sure nothing would jump out at me...My hearing is very poor, so I can't have the noise from the computer fans overpowering anything else...

As I stepped out of my office, my eyes landed directly on L/N. They were carrying a large Pizza to a party of around ten kids, all surrounding them and jumping to get the pizza. There was one little boy who stuck out the most. He had short, brown hair, a grey shirt with two black stripes across the chest, and blue shorts. His shoes were blue and lit up when he walked. I felt that same aching feeling in my chest.

L/N's face fell into a frown when their eyes landed on me. They haven't got a reason to be upset, really...they barged in on me.

"Working hard?" I said, standing awkwardly as they approached. Their eyes scanned my entire body.

"hardly working?" They retaliated with their hands on their hips.

"Working hard enough," I said dryly. I would have frowned, but they wouldn't have seen it anyways. "When did they get here?" I asked, motioning to the large party of children.

"Er..." They shifted their weight to the other leg, and they bit their lip as if thinking. "Maybe an hour ago? They've ordered like...three large pizzas."

"I see...and that one?" I motioned to an even larger party of children, which was over my main stage.

"Just a few minutes ago I think." They crossed their arms across their stomach as if they were cold. "I haven't been running many of the tickets, I've just been helping with food and token supply."

"I see..." I said slowly, my eyes shifting from one party to the next.

"Mr. Schmidt," L/N said suddenly.

"Mmh?" I hummed in response, turning my body towards them. I didn't look at them, but they had my attention.

"Why do you wear that mask? If you have bandages covering your face already, what is the point?" Their voice was quiet, and it made them hard to hear. "Does it not get like...claustrophobic under there?"

"Er-" I stood awkwardly, rubbing my hands on my trousers. The bandages got caught on the seams like weak velcro, and it made me cringe. "I don't want to startle the children-" I shrugged.

"But that mask is horrifying..."

"Change the formality, my dear," I said dryly, patting them on the head. They cringed. I withdrew my hand.

"I suppose..." They said slowly, now turning to face away from me. They stared at the same party of children I was focused on. "Im going to head over there...talk to i/n."

"Rightyo..." I gave a small thumbs up. They left quickly, not even looking back. I felt that same odd pressure in my chest...I'm assuming this is from my body collapsing in on itself, but who knows? Not me. When have I ever been right?

I sigh heavily, and I feel the heat of my breath make the bandages on my face uncomfortable...I don't mess with them though, since I have very few to spare.