7| Dates?

1st person, Michael Afton POV.

=================

Y/N ended up taking me to a small diner that was only about a five-minute walk from the park. I wasn't thrilled about this due to my inability to literally eat anything, but they insisted that, even if I didn't eat anything, It would still be cool to hang out.

So I agreed.

Fun fact, I'm not able to smell at all. A lot of my senses have completely gone away due to my body's condition. This makes it easy not to get a hungry or sick feeling when surrounded by food.

The "date" as my mind called it, was going fine, I suppose. Y/N talked my head off, but I didn't mind. I found a lot of what they said interesting, even when I had no idea what was actually going on.

They ordered a slushy, which was red, so I assumed it was strawberry...or maybe cherry. I can't tell.

They offered me a sip, but I promptly pointed to the bandages around my face and they nodded slowly.

"Can you not just pull one down to take a sip? They asked, tapping their finger over the bandages where my mouth would be. I shook my head, and they frowned. "Why not?"

"It hurts to move the bandages..." I said slowly, watching as their face softened. They nodded.

"Alright, understandable. Much be more comfortable to take them fully off at home?" They said, then took a long sip of their slushy.

"I suppose, yes. Putting pressure on the burn wounds really helps though. it eases pain." I shrugged, resting my elbows on the table.

"I see. That makes a lot of sense." They smiled. I felt my stomach go queasy. "Im glad to be learning about this stuff."

I Shrug, leaning my chin on the palm of my hand. "It's kinda simple, I guess?" They give me an odd look. "No! Im not calling you stupid- just- I think it's easy to understand from my point of view!"

"I didn't think you called me stupid, Mike." They laughed softly. I watched as their hand reach across the table and grabbed the hand I wasn't leaning on. I felt the heat rush to my face. "You're funny."

"Im freaking out," I said quickly, feeling embarrassed afterward. Why would I say that? Why would I be nervous? "Sorry...I don usually go out with people."

go out?

GO OUT?!

good. great. I've scared her off now.

God

damn

great. stupid bloody Michael.

PRAT

"Me either." They said slowly, taking another sip of their slushy. "This is nice, though. I enjoy going out and having a good, adult conversation...everyone you hired sucks."

"Really?" I raise my eyebrows, which just look like my eyes widening.

"They're all teenagers. They eat the food and don't work. What are you even paying them for?" They scoffed. I felt them squeeze my hand.

"I haven't paid any of them yet," I said slowly, squinting my eyes at my squeezed hand. They eased up when they noticed my slight distress. "But I can have a talk with them...there are cameras for a reason."

"Good good..." They leaned on their elbow, their thumb rubbing the top of my hand. I felt stiff.

My back was stiff. Not other things you nasty people.

Why would that thought even come to mind? You pervert!

"Want to come over sometime?" They said suddenly, almost making me a jolt. "For dinner, I mean."

'Er..." I hesitated. "Yeah sure. Maybe. Depends on how much pain I'm in a certain day..." I said slowly.

"Right, of course." They nodded, squeezing my hand again. I squinted my eyes. "Or just to hang out. we can watch movies and stuff."

"Sure..." I said quietly, watching as they stood up and tossed their cup into the rubbish bin. When they sat back down, their hand landed in mine again, and I couldn't help but smile.

"Are you smiling?" They said, leaning forward and onto the table. "Your cheeks. I can tell by how your cheeks look." I felt heat rush to my face as my eyes met theirs and my face fell.

Not literally of course. Im not that dead.

Im still hot, thank you very much.

But this question still put my stomach into a whirl.

"Yeah, I am," I said softly.

"That's great..." They grinned softly, leaning back into their chair. Their hand finally left mine, and now rested in their lap. "It's a good look on you."

"Thanks," I said, quickly clearing my throat after my voice cracked horrible.

YOU SON OF A WREAK MICHAEL AFTON.

"Sorry. Voice crack." I said shortly, scratching my neck with my right hand. I heard them chuckle.

"Charming, Mike." They said in between giggles, covering their mouth as they laughed.

"Er...eheh..yeah." I laughed with them. I held the cardboard mask I usually wore up so it covered half of my face.

hide from the shame, Michael.

I take out my wallet from my back pocket and put a £20 note down in the small tray. It was to pay for Y/N's food. Then I stood up. I approached them and offered my hand to help them up, and they gladly took it.

"Such chivalry, Mikie." They said, grinning as they stood up.

"Mikie?" I grinned, squinting my eyes as I pushed in their chair.

"Sorry." They said quickly, but I shook my head.

"No no! I like it!" I gave an awkward thumbs up. "Just sort of odd. I haven't been called that in a while."

"I see." They said, hooking my arm with theirs as we left the diner.

we stood in silence for a moment, contemplating our next move...It was the middle of December, so it was cold. I offered my jacket to Y/N.(Which they reluctantly took.)

"Can I walk you home?" I offered, earning a goofy-looking grin from them. I felt my whole body become warm as I stared at them.

"Sure...thankfully it isn't far." They stated. "I only take the tube in the morning because I'm usually in a rush, but tonight is a nice night." They took a deep breath. "Let's walk."

They hooked their arm with mine again. I was trapped with my arm linked since they put their hands into the jacket pockets to keep them warm. I didn't feel cold enough to complain. The walk seemed to take a while. (Not that I was complaining) The only downside was the lack of conversation. This was awkward...I've never been out with someone like this before, so this whole exchange is very new to me.

Sure, when I was around 17 I had a horribly large group of friends, but they all got cut off after my brother's death. Since then, the only person I was close to was my mother, But She is dead now...

The walk to Y/N's flat took about 20 minutes.

"This yours?" I turn my head to look at them, and they nod.

"Fifth floor. I can buzz in, don't worry." They grinned, unlinking their arm with mine. "Hey...er...

"Do you want to come in?"

===============