³ Higher Ground

Khadijah pov

“I can cook, I mean it gives me something to do. Cedes told me the cook quit.” I watch as she looks at where Mercedes went and I grin putting my hand on my hip. “I ain't gone be able to pay you much of nothing.” I nod shrugging.

“I don't mind, the Pynk was always good to me. I need to give back. Let's see what we working with.” We walk to the back to the kitchen and I see it's a mess what was dude doing back here?

“When we opening again?” Big L look around and then back at me. “What's up? It's good in hea.” I walk to the frier and point to the grease build up on the edge and the obviously old grease inside.

“This place needs some TLC gimme a few hours I'll have it spotless. If you ain't helping get out of the way.” Uncle Clifford scoffs throwing her hands up sashaying out and big L follows, I look around before throwing my hair up into ponytail and heading out, as I do I run into Autumn bedtime or whatever her name is.

“You here early.” I nod and find my way around her to the door seeing Diamond opening it. I pull away and cross my arms. He stands there looking down at me.

“You in my way, sir. You gone move or what?” He moves to the right holding the door open and I slip past him but not before he gets in my business. “Where you going?” I toss my head to the left and turn around continuing my walk to my car. “I need to clean and I ain't got no materials.” Before he can say anything else I'm in my car and heading to the dollar store.

I don't even know why I'm doing this, I was only coming back to the Pynk because I needed the money boost but now I'm the cook and I know I ain't gone be getting paid what I need to be. I swear if they were anyone else they'd get ignored and left high and dry. Hopefully when I cook this shit they won't give Toya gas and Ruby indigestion.

___________________

I push the stove back into place before getting down to sweep up the trash, as I do that I hear someone walk in, I look up seeing Uncle Clifford and Diamond.

“Damn I ain't think it'll look this different, see Diamond that's why we need professionals.” I chuckle and pop up walking to the trash can dumping the trash. I put the two up heading to go wash my hands to start getting stuff ready.

“You know you'd bring in some more money if you get a plug for some weed, I can easily make some THC infused wings, think about it.” She looks at me for a second thinking about it before telling me to let her think about it. I slip my apron on and start to mix my different seasonings. I hear footsteps walk closer and I look up seeing Diamond, I raise a eyebrow and smile at him.

“Can I help you? The kitchen ain't opened yet. So imma assume that you here for something else.” He licks his lips before pushing up on the table but I pop at his hands with my towel.

“Keep ya hands off my cooking surfaces, sir find another way to be smooth.” He can't even hold back the laugh this time as he bends over, I chuckle as I pull out the chicken sitting the bowl in the sink.

“Why you always starting with me? You know why I'm here.” I frown and look back at him, did I forget something? I don't think I did— not anything dealing with Diamond anyway.

“You forgot didn't you?” I frown and shake my head clearing my throat and crossing my arms I lean on the table and he follows. “Nah, nah I got you, gimme a minute once I get through with this.” He cocks a eyebrow but I feel myself get a little dazed looking at him, feeling his breath hitting my lips.