12. Looking Forward Through The Past

Skyh black as Hassan Dupree
(last character being added)

Khadijah POV

I wipe the sweat from my forehead and exhale looking over at the well oiled machine pushing and moving like this heat and this work ain't getting to him. I should've just sat my ass at home like he offered but no I wanted to fucking help. I regret it.

“You know you don't have to be here and suffer, you paid me to do this job.” I look forward at him as he tears down the wall. Dust dusting his hair and arms. I shrug.

“Ion know, I never felt right having others do work for me without me helping out a bit.” He chuckles and nods.

“Well how about this, can you help clear up the wall I'm tearing out, I have some extra gloves in my truck you can borrow and a mask. We'll work on the floors later.” I nod and kick the wood I managed to get up before he hands me the keys and he points to it right behind my car. I quickly grab what he told me to get and I run back, I grab a garbage bag and quickly get to work.

Before I know it he has the ruined wall gutted and he's working on the part of the ceiling that is messed up.

You said that you were turning this place into a restaurant? What kind?” I lift the mask and I shrug. “Fine Dining Soul food. It's my own spin on things,” He looks at me and I chuckle already knowing what he's thinking.

“Where did you get that idea from?”

“I don't know, soul food is seen as comfort food and fine dining because I like the aura places like that has. I want people to come pretty to enjoy my food and leave full and feel like they got their bucks worth for good food. I don't know it just seems right in my head.” He nods and he chuckles.

I like the idea, but I don't know how people would feel about fitting into their outfits at the beginning of the night and struggling out of them at the end of it.” I laugh and catch the piece of material he tosses down to the trash.

“It's a work in progress, I still have to set up the menu, you're the first person to hear about it... I'm not even sure how to take your reaction.” He shrugs and I raise an eyebrow folding my arms as he gets down from the damaged area. He takes the gloves off and looks at me sorta stopping seeing my face.

“I've never had your cooking, I mean any restaurant can work if the chef specializes in the cuisine being made there,regardless of the mix and matches they make.” I nod and grab the bag back up and I put it in the middle of the floor.

“All I needed to hear, thanks.” I pull the gloves off and I pull the mask down inhaling. God this place is hot, I pull at my top and look around to see if I can find some way to get air in here. I grab a door stop and open the door.

“A chef that can't handle heat? That's not a good sign.” Never knew someone not liking to be hot unnecessarily means anything especially towards their talents. Damn devil.

“I don't like being uncomfortable when I don't have to be. And it has nothing to do with my ability to cook, sir.” I turn back to the door, and I inhale trying to get some air in but it's that stale ass summer weather.

“I ain't mean to offend you, Ms. Woodbine.” I look over my shoulder to the large man before shaking my head trying to muster up some wind.

“You ain't said nothing wrong, Mr. Dupree, it's just stuffy and honestly if I'm not in the kitchen I can't tolerate too much heat. I hope I didn't scare you off.” He shakes his head pressing his hand against the threshold leaning against it.