13. Long Nights

Khadijah pov

I pull my hair into a ponytail as I mix the paint before pouring it in the bucket thing. It's probably eight o'clock but I need some time alone with my new investment. The new furniture and appliances will be here within the next week, by then Justin will have the needed updates done to the kitchen ventilation system and flooring.

As I dance around to my music painting making sure the coats are even I think about what this means for me. I get to live my dream, I've done nothing but work for this, going days starving so I could have this moment. Link was available but getting fifty dollars ain't shit for groceries especially in Chicago. 8 years I've been saving up for this, hustling my ass off. I did the footwork (literally) and now I can see the fruits of my labor come from it.

'BANG BANG BANG!' I jump from the loud banging that manages to reach above my speakers. I look over and see police lights a cop standing there the other in the car. I frown and pause my music going to the door unlocking it, the cop looks me up and down and it makes me aware of the sports bra and old yoga pants I'm wearing. He motions for me to step out of the building and I do locking it behind me. I don't need them feeling entitled rushing inside without a warrant.

“We got called on a noise complaint, ma'am what is your business in this building?” I can't stand upptiy folks, I didn't even have my speaker all the way up how they making a noise complaint? I smile and nod in understanding anyway.

“Sorry officer. I got a little too happy jamming out and lost track of time.” He frowns and looks inside then back at me. “You work for some construction company ma'am?” Why is he asking me this? I shake my head.

No, sir. May I ask why you're asking?” He adjusts his belt and I suddenly makes me hyper aware of the gun on his hip. I look from it to him and it seems like that's the green light.

“Ma'am what is your business here in this building? Because for as long as I did my runs in the area I have never seen you or anyone else in this building.” He doesn't possibly believe that I'm breaking into this place and painting the walls for no reason can he?

“Officer I own this building, I just bought it like half a month ago.” He crosses his arms and gives me a look of disbelief and annoyance.

“Fine, if you now own this building please let me see the paperwork.” I don't just carry that around with me. And I don't have it here because I have no where to put it. The office is nothing but four walls and a stripped floor.

“I don't have the papers on me, sir. But I do own this building now Tina is the real estate agent that sold me the building. Check any cameras I've been working on this building since I got it.” He rolls his eyes.

“I don't care about any possible friend but I know this property was owned by the bank so I doubt any real estate agent would be selling it to you.” I jerk my head back at the audacity that just fell from his lips.

“To me? Sir I'll have you know I'm a chef, I'm turning this building into a restaurant, no one is gonna be breaking and entering to paint the fucking walls! I don't have the deed to the building because the office is only four walls and a ground. I am not doing anything illegal.” He gets into my space and I step back and I see him grip at his gun and I feel my chest get tight and itchy.

“I'm gonna need you to calm down and take a step back ma'am.”

“I am calm and you stepped up to me!” Just as I say that the other cop gets out, a little white woman, she gives me the up and down and I feel my heart rate speed up.