6| Run

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Run

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 6: Run (Josh's POV)

I slowed down to a jog as I reached my street one more time, finishing my run. I caught my breath, running a hand through my hair, feeling it a bit damp from the running and sweating. 

I need a shower. 

Pulling up the sleeves to the black v-neck, I reached my apartment building, watching as a cab stopped directly in front of it. The door opened and I stopped in one place, recognizing her within a second. 

Slowly, keeping one hand on Blake's head, she climbed out of the taxi and then reached in, taking out his baby bag along with a paper bag from The Locket, pulling it onto her shoulder, and then closing the door. She glanced at the apartment building, pausing for a moment in confusion. 

Poppy's never been to my apartment before, hasn't even realized this was the building I stayed in and owned. Not that she knew about the latter anyway, nobody does. 

She moved to enter the building but stopped when her eyes landed on me. 

I pulled my earphones out, tucking them into my pocket as I walked over to her, stopping a few inches away. 

"Hi," she exhaled, blinking up at me. 

I stared back. "What the hell are you doing here? Why is he with you?" I glanced at Blake. 

"He's sleeping. And he's with me because I'm babysitting him for tonight. Actually..." She took the bag off, thrusting it at me. "We are." 

"What?" 

The busy street was full of traffic lights, headlights, and car horns. Blake stirred on her shoulder, his fist tightening around her jacket. "Can we go inside before he wakes up?" she asked.

I eyed her weirdly before leading the way, taking her through the glass revolving door and past the busy lobby, towards the elevator. We slipped inside and I scanned the keycard, the light turning green, finally allowing me to press the button to the penthouse. I glanced at her as I pocketed the card but she didn't say anything, just stared at the countdown while faint elevator music played in the background. 

It's hardly audible, that's how bad it is and how long it's been playing, but I can't be bothered to tell the staff to get rid of it. Nobody else seems to mind it either. 

"You live here?" she finally asked, her voice soft. 

"Yeah. You know where I live seeing that you made it here just fine," I replied. "Speaking of, why the hell are you at my apartment?" 

"I told you, Jenny said she wants us to babysit Blake tonight." 

I eyed the bag of food and then Poppy. "Us?" 

She rolled her eyes. "Okay, well she called me to do it. And then she gave me dinner for two people, saying I should make sure you eat. Plus, she thought you'd want to spend some more time with Blake. Unless you don't, then I can leave."