26| Risk

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Risk

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 26: Risk (Josh's POV)

We stood in silence with the employee staring between us in confusion. "Sir? Ma'am?" 

Poppy cleared her throat and turned to me. "Um, I... Maybe you should just uh, take a room with two beds. I'll split the bill with you and we'll make sure Lydia pays you back." She faced the employee while I watched her. "He'll take a separate room." 

"No, I won't," I cut in, my brows furrowing in confusion as I stared at Poppy. "Lydia isn't going to pay me back. This is a five-star—" 

"Seven-star, sir," the employee mumbled quietly, earning a glare from both of us. 

"Seven-star," I spat out, correcting myself, "hotel. Lydia isn't spitting out any more money than she already did for this trip. And I'm not paying an unreasonable amount for a bed I won't even use." I turned to the woman behind the desk. "Do we get a refund if we cancel the bookings to one of our rooms and somebody shares a room with me instead?" 

She shook her head. "No, sir, we're very sorry. But canceling the booking to a different room won't help at this point." 

"Then what exactly do you suggest we do?" Poppy asked, forcing a polite smile. 

"Well um, I suggest you two share a room if that's possible... We're certain that the room was booked for you both to stay in together intentionally. There's no record of any other room being booked under your name, Mr. Nilsen, and no employee answered a phone call to that request either." 

Both Poppy and I huffed, leaving the counter and going to sit on the couches in the lobby. She stared at me, brows raised. "What are you going to do?" 

I leaned back into the couch, resting my hand on the armrest. "I guess I could stay at a cheaper hotel nearby. That should be fine." 

"Are you serious? You won't stay here?" 

"I don't think so, it doesn't make sense." 

She paused, fidgeting with her earring. "Maybe we should check with Lydia." 

I paused. "About what?" 

"Do you remember I told you I think she intentionally puts her employees in situations that force them to break the rules so that she has an excuse to fire them?" 

"You think she wants to fire us?" 

"One of us, maybe. It's probably not you," she snickered. "Are you really not going to stay?" 

I leaned forward, resting my elbows on my knees. "It doesn't sound like you want that," I mused. 

"I don't," she said it like it was obvious. "You want me to tolerate Valerie all alone here? Impossible. I need you here with me. So..." 

"So?" I lifted a brow. 

"So share the room. With me. It can't be that bad," she sighed, "we did just fine last night. Let's share the room. But let's not tell Jamieson and Valerie. I don't think she's going to like that very much."