22| Wander

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Wander

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 22: Wander (Josh's POV)

Sitting with her on our way back in the car, there was a flicker of doubt in my mind when I leaned in close to her. A little surge of desire. I wanted to kiss her. For a brief, fleeting moment, I did want it. And that stupid brief, fleeting moment was all I could think about since I got back to my hotel room. Almost two whole hours went by, I was nearly done getting ready for dinner and yet somehow, it was still all I could think about. 

I kept picturing it, her lips against mine, my arms around her, her body pressing into mine. It was driving me insane. I was much better off when I used to stay away from Poppy Valentine. And the thought of having dinner with her tonight, possibly sitting beside her at that restaurant, walking back with her, sharing the elevator with her? Oh, dear God, no. 

I put my cologne on the bathroom counter before huffing and flicking the lights off, grabbing my shoes as I sat on the foot of the bed, and then pulled them on. I pocketed my phone and wallet once I tucked the room key into it and then opened the door. I wasn't waiting on Poppy tonight, absolutely not. As I shut the door firmly and spun around to head towards the elevator, another door opened and my jaw clenched. 

Fuck me. 

I stopped, spinning around to face her. She shut the door before throwing her hair over her shoulders, faltering when she noticed I was there. She took in a shaky breath and flashed me a small, forced smile. 

I hate that it was forced. 

"Hi," she said. She blinked and then her brows knitted together in confusion. "Were you going downstairs?" 

"Yeah," I nodded, pocketing my hands to hide my fists. 

"Without me?" 

"Yes," I answered. Maybe if she felt a little bad about it, she'd also increase the distance between us. 

She sighed, almost in relief. "Oh, I was going to do that too but I felt kind of bad. I guess I don't have to now," she snickered and then started walking ahead of me. When she realized I wasn't keeping up, she stopped and spun on her heels, staring at me. "You coming?" 

I scoffed softly before catching up to her. "You were going to leave without me?" 

"What do you mean? You were going to do the same thing as me," she laughed softly. 

"So? That doesn't mean you have to do it. Why would you leave without me?" 

"Josh," she stared at me incredulously. "Why do you think so?" 

I lifted a brow at her as we reached the elevators and I pressed the button, both of us waiting. 

"I felt a little... weird, I guess," she mumbled in admission. "I kept..." She shook her head and cleared her throat. "I kept thinking about it." 

"What?" 

"I kept replaying what almost—" Her eyes suddenly narrowed. "You know what, you're not entitled to ask me these questions and I don't owe you any answers. I didn't want to go downstairs with you and I have my reasons, that's all you need to know," she huffed. "What about you?" 

"If you don't have to answer me, then I don't have to answer you." 

"All right then." 

"All right."