XIV - Alder

He didn't know his name anymore.

He knew one name. That was Xym. He hated Xym. Xym did this to him. Xym made him sit out in the cold and the heat and the rain and the snow and all the horrible things. Xym made him this. This thing.

"Lynwyn."

He looked up, the loose skin at the top of his neck folding over itself when he did so.

"We brought you a present."

He looked towards the heavy iron door at the end of the courtyard, hobbling towards it. It rose, soon, and a quivering Arakfi was seen pressed against the back wall. They looked to be no more than a teenager. They were covered in dirt, and the rapid rising and falling of their chest told him they were scared.

"Thank you," he croaked out, looking up at the balcony with a grin. The man tilted his head.

He liked the man. The man liked him. The man brought him friends and gifts and all sorts of things.

"Don't be afraid," He cooed, lurking close to the room. A whimper escaped the Arakfi.

"Don't eat me," they pleaded. "Please. I didn't do anything wrong. Please."

He tilted his head, blinking before stepping into the room.

"No! No! Stay back!" The Arakfi screamed, looking upwards and banging on the wall.

He couldn't help the saliva pooling beneath his tongue. Meat - friend? Food. He decided on. This one didn't seem to like him enough to be his friend. But they all settled down soon after.

-

Alder smiled as the scream rang out, wrapping his hands tighter around the balcony's edge.

"Don't you think that's a bit harsh, dear?"

He looked over his shoulder, smiling at the maiden. She was sprawled over a chaise lounge, popping grapes thoughtfully into her mouth.

"You look stunning, my sweet," he cooed, turning away from the scene below.

"You can't dodge me that easily, Alder." She chuckled, rising from her seat. Soon she joined him on the overlook, wincing at the blood show below.

"Either way. Bloke tried to steal from the treasury. And by law, children can't be sentenced to the Colosseum."

"You've said it yourself, Alder. The kid was a kid," Nefrine clicked her tongue, Alder running a hand through his brilliantly blonde locks.

"Does it matter? I checked his records. He was an orphan. No one will miss him."

Nefrine shook her head lightly as Alder wrapped an arm delicately around her waist.

"You know, I saw a tabloid the other day that said you and Mr. Reinbach had an illegitimate child. I'd never admit it to anyone but you, love, but I nearly believed it."

"The Tourniquet?" she asked, receiving a nod. "They're a parody of tabloids. None of the stories are true," she chuckled, the King shooting her a scowl. "I saw one claiming Reinbach had fallen in love with every one of the Gladiator Lozenfi a couple years back. When I showed him, he just stared at me. I don't suppose he likes me very much."