Chapter Two- First Aid

Entering the house, he appeared to be nervous for what was behind the door. I tried to explain to him how everything was alright but he still approached each step as if the floor would give away if he stepped incorrectly. Making it to the kitchen, he sat up on the bar stool and it was then-by the light of the lamps that I saw his stomach had but cut by a knife or sharp object. I turned to the cabinet by the sink and took the first aid kit from the corner and placed it before him on the counter. As I removed stuff from the box, I noticed how he watched my every move. 

        "Do you have a name?" I asked, my eyes stuck on my objective. 

        "Nick." He finally spoke. His voice was angelic. Almost as if I was deaf and his voice was the first words I had ever heard. Everything he did had a strange way of enabling all my emotions and fantasies.

        "It's good to meet you." I said as I held out my hand. He shook it kindly before he placed it on his lap. He nodded before he spoke again. "Your name?"

        "Vannah." I said, my own name sounding ridiculous aloud.

        He smiled. "Very beautiful." He said as he looked to the ground.

        By this time, all the supplies I needed to help him were on the counter and ready to be applied.

        "Can I have you lift your shirt?" I asked, trying not to show my anxiousness and my smile.

        He lifted it with a few fingers as he watched my hands closely. I placed the peroxide on first and he did not flinch.

        "You seem to know what you are doing..." He said as he gave me a look of arrogance now. His eyes were soft before, but dark. Now they were filled with intention. Ones I was unsure at the time of what purpose.

        "I want to be a nurse when I'm done with high school. Always loved helping people." It was as if when I said this, it was toxic to him. He shuttered but then I realized I had caused the bleeding to occur once more since I nicked the scab with my ring. He gave me a smirk.

        "What happened that caused such a wound?"

        "A fence. I tried to climb over it and it got my stomach..." He said, avoiding eye contact with me. To be honest, I didn't much care how it happened. I just wanted to hear him speak. I would have listened to him recite the entire Declaration of Independence.

        When I finished, he rose from the chair and looked out at the storm before reaching for the door.

        "You can't go out in this!" I ordered more than suggested.

        "I have dealt with worse." He said smiling at me.

        "It is pouring! And the next house isn't around for miles. Please...I insist you stay here." As we spoke, mother and her not-so-gentleman caller were heard upstairs. He then gave me a look of anger.

        "Don't worry." I said laughing it off. "It's just my mom...she really likes having guy friends around..." I said, moving beside him and shutting the door. "She might get angry though if she finds you here so you can stay in the barn...if you want..." He gave me a look as if I told him the world had finally achieved peace.

        "I don't want to be an inconvenience..." He said, looking toward the ground once more.

        "I insist. It's the least you can do for me. I mean I did just heal you...in a way."

        "Fine. But if you need me to do anything-please let me know..." He said as he ventured off toward the barn.

        Watching as he dashed to the barn, his shirt became sodden. A sight of where I could see his muscles prominent. I swear he was crafted by the Gods for he was so perfect. But I also knew I knew nothing about him other than his name. Nick. And he was my dream. I finally felt as if my entire life had begun.