Chapter Fifty Six- Suspicions

This was the first night in what felt like a lifetime where I slept through the night. I had become awake by about ten that next morning and realized I left Maya home alone all night. I quickly threw on my clothes and hurried to the house but found Maya on my computer. I had no password so it would have been easy to open but I was intrigued on what she was searching for.

"Come on!" She kept saying aloud almost as if she was trying to get something to work.

Eventually, a gust of wind blew the door open and I took this as my chance to find out what was going on.

"What are you doing?" I asked as I went to the computer. I found that she was going through the files on my computer. There was mostly school reports aside from my mother's autopsy report I had emailed to me-that I just remembered I had as I sat there. She turned toward me and I saw she had a black eye.

"What happened?!" I asked as she hid from me.

"I"m sorry...I shouldn't have come in here..."

"What are you looking for?"

"I just...I was looking for some information about mom. I want to know who did it..."

"So do I Maya..."

For the first time since she has been here, she was actually shy. She did not speak everything on her mind, her clothes actually covered her body, and most of all-she seemed scared.

"Where you okay last night?" This question lit a fear in her eyes.

She began breathing fast before crying. Although she had done some shady things, I was unable to be angry at her. In that moment, I pitied her. I felt guilt since I did leave her alone.

"Did someone come here last night?"

She nodded.

"Did you know who it was?"

"I think I do..." She paused before continuing. "Can I ask you something?"

I nodded.

"Has he ever hurt anybody?"

"Who?"

"Nick?"

I froze. To be honest, we only spent a fraction of the night together since I had been asleep the rest of it. He could have done something...but I don't understand why...Was it because I almost made him leave? Or was she just trying to make him leave?

"Did he do that to you?"

"I don't know. It was late. Probably three. I decided to not go to that party since I couldn't get a ride and I was doing homework. Overdue by a week but I attempted to finish it. Anyway," She wiped tears off her cheeks before finishing. "I heard a noise and thought it was you or Nick so I was going to apologize about earlier. I did go after him and I feel so bad about it. So I made my way down the stairs and the figure rushed me, threw me down on the stairs and hit me over and over again....then ran out. I stayed on the stairs crying until I could get up and move."

"I am so sorry. I should have been in here..."

"Yeah. You should have."

I felt an incredible amount of guilt on my heart and soul. If I would have been here, could I have saved her? Instead I was being selfish and reckless.