Chapter Forty Two- A New Day

Nick treated me as if I was glass-more than usual. Although I was indeed sore from recent events, I was able to walk. Especially into my own house. As we walked up to the door, he gave me a deep kiss that seemed to be desired for months. In reality, it had been a few days. But I understood the passion and need behind it-for I felt it in return.

When the kiss ended, he lifted me into the house and I entered it with a smile. I never thought I would have been so happy to be home. Just as I got rested, I heard the answering machine beep over and over again until I finally listened to the messages.

"Hello, this is Detective Reymond at the department, we have some information about your mother, if you wanted to give us a call or come to the station, just ask for me and I will give you the information. Have a nice day."

"It's me. Yeah. So anyway, I really need someone to talk to...Ugh! Why won't you answer your phone! You are such a waste sometimes!" This one was Lea, always dramatic, never trying to be hurtful-but always comes off that way.

"Are you home? I just want to make sure you got there okay. You can ignore me I don't blame you. Just please, let me know you are okay. I'm worried. But if you want me to leave you alone-I understand...I guess I hoped you would turn the car around...I um...sorry. Bye."

I turned to Nick who was blushing in the kitchen. I smiled to him before walking toward him.

"I did turn around. I was on my way back to you when the truck hit. I was closer to home but I realized my home isn't here..."

I walked over toward him closer and placed my hand on his chest. "It's here."

Without saying a word, he picked me up on his toes and kissed me. Placing both hands on my cheeks then moving his hands to my waist. It was as if we couldn't get enough of one another. He then picked me up and set me on the kitchen table before pulling back slightly.

"I was so scared you were hurt." He said as he kissed my neck. "I was terrified I had lost you before I even had you..." He now kissed my lips. "I wanted to tell you how much I love you. I was afraid it would scare you..."

"I love you. For all the reasons and more that you love me."

He laid me down on the table before he moved my leg so it was how wrapped around his waist.

"You smell incredible." He said as his nose grazed my neck and upper chest. "You are so beautiful, Savannah." He said before kissing me once more.

Although I was blushing immensely, I was unable to ruin this moment with my insecurities. I felt his hand firm on my hip before he slowly moved his hand up my side, making my shirt come up just slightly.

KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK!

Nick rested his head on my chest before letting out a sigh. Removing himself from the table, he picked me up-fixed my shirt before going to the other room so I could answer the door. It was a detective. He wore the uniform but it was not any of the detectives I had seen before.

"Miss Savannah Masson?" He asked as he held a piece of paper in front of him.

"Yes?"

"I am Detective Reymond. The detective that was previously on your case was moved to a different precinct, but he wanted me to look over your case. I have been trying to reach you all weekend..."

"I know. I'm sorry...I was in the hospital. Just got home a few minutes ago."

"Oh. Are you alright?"

I nodded. "You said you had information about my mother?"

"Yes..."

I waited anxiously but I saw in his eyes there was a dark secret he withheld.

"The object that was used to kill your mother was a barbecue fork, probably one from inside the house."

My heart stopped. My poor mother! Stabbed with suck a horrible object. His continued discovery interrupted my horrid thoughts.

"The Luminol tests we conducted showed that there was only a slight amount of blood on her abdomen as well as the bed. Which means she was killed somewhere else..."

"Do you know who did it?"

He shook his head. "I am sorry to say we do not. But, we did find some hair evidence we are checking. Please, just be patient. Also, call if you have any questions." He handed me his card before leaving.

My mind spun. Who did this? Who would be so cruel? Who hated my mother so much that they were unable to stand her breathe another moment of air?