Chapter Thirty Eight- Suspect

I awoke with a jolt as the sound of a gun went off. Now in a different motel, somewhere far south, every moment was crucial. Every move we made was calculated, even who we talked to. But this set this astray.

Tossing a hooded sweatshirt over my pajama shirt, I darted out the door to find Nick on the ground and clutching his shoulder. I ran to his aid and pulled him into the motel room, laying him down upon the bed. As I moved around, trying to find things to assist him, his eyes never left me.

"What are you looking at?"

"My guardian angel." He said with a smile. As he looked to me, he sat up and I ceased him.

"You need to rest the injury. I hate to ask-but what happened?"

"I was careless. Trying to obtain something for you and I didn't think it through..." He said as he winced.

"What were you so desperate to get?"

He reached into his pocket and pulled out a star necklace. It had diamonds on each point and was small but beautiful.

"Wow." Was all I could manage to say. I was snapped back into reality as I looked at his grin.

Searching around the room, I found a sewing kit, whiskey, and a roll bandage. It was enough-but not for the pain. As I cleaned it, he explained how he bought the necklace from someone selling them on the street but the man became greedy and wanted more. He believed Nick had drugs and shot him when he refused to give them to him. As he explained, his eyes never left mine and we shared another moment.

Nothing had happened in the last two weeks worth mentioning. We shared glances, but he hadn't touched me or kissed me aside from the first motel. In fact, I was terrified he was now rethinking this relationship entirely-if that's what it had been.

After sewing his wound shut-first removing the bullet with tweezers, I wrapped it with the bandage and was amazed on how still and content he was.

"Will you put the necklace on?" He asked with a smile.

"That's the first thing you ask after you get stitched up?"

"I want it to be yours. That way even when we are apart, for whatever reasons, I am still next to your heart."

"You always will be." I murmured.

He heard my comment and pulled me close to him. Looking at me from my feet to my head, he pulled me by my waist and threw me onto the bed. He lingered on top of me as if his arm was not harmed.

"Be careful." I said as I looked to his wound.

"This is nothing compared to how much I want to kiss you."

This took me by surprise. He still cared. I danced in my mind but something made me feel uneasy. This ended quick as his kisses were now trailing down my body. Not once was there an instance in which he retreated.

But I found that an annoying buzzing sound would not cease in my pocket. Trying to ignore it, it grew the best of me and I found it to be Lea. It was a text message.

"Police are looking for Ethan. They are looking for Nick..."

Nick's lips were upon my neck at this point but I pushed him off. I did not believe he could take a person's life until the Peter situation. When this happened, I was unable to comprehend the message along with my feelings and emotions. Did he do it? Could he?