[Ron Weasley] ~ Old Scars

rxmione

I sat in a chair, my hands nervously twisting the hem of my dress, as I waited to be called for my job interview, when he neared me.
It had been a while since I had seen him last.
Ronald Weasley.
Last I had seen of him, he was kissing Hermione as if his life depended solely on it, and whilst I had absolutely no business being hurt by that, it still had hurt me.
Ron and I went way back, before Hogwarts, before meeting Harry Potter, before any of that.
I had grown up with him, being roughly the same age and all that, our parents would have us sent off to each other's houses every now and again.
He was my best friend.
And then he met Harry and Hermione, and sort of put our friendship in the backburner. He only came to me when he was upset with them, and of course, as the idiot I was, I allowed it.
I quickly looked down, praying to whomever would attend my prayers that he wouldn't notice me.
But, of course, he had to notice me.
He approached me with a bright smile, sitting down in the vacant chair next to me.
"Hi, Y/N. Long time, no see." he said casually and I hid a sigh, before looking up with the fakest smile I could muster.
"Hi Ron."
There was a slightly awkward silence between us before he spoke up. "Your mum said you went out of the country after the war. Working with my brother Charlie?"
I looked at him.
While he had not been the sole reason I had gone to Romania after finishing school, he surely had been in that list.
I knew I had feelings for him, ever since fifth year, I knew what I felt for him wasn't just friendship, and then seventh year came around, and the war, and not hearing anything from him for nearly a year had made me realize I loved him.
And then, I had seen him kiss Hermione, and call her his girlfriend, and so, as soon as I had the chance, I went away from all of that, to spare myself the heartache. To try and forget about him.
Clearly, that didn't work, if I was reacting like this.

"Yep." I said shortly as I looked at the office door. Why were they taking so long to call me in? Then I looked at Ron, before politely asking, "How's Hermione?"
Ron shrugged, "Last I had seen of her, she was off to America for a job opportunity."
"Oh." was all I said, and Ron sighed.
"We broke up after that. The whole long-distance thing wasn't working for us."
I looked at him with a small smile. "I'm sorry to hear that."
We sat in silence, before the office door opened and I was called in.
Standing up, I grabbed my things and prepared to enter the office, before turning to Ron, trying to hide the relief I felt for not having to be near him.
"It was nice seeing you."
I turned my back on him, and was about to enter the office, when Ron called out, "Would you like to go out for some coffee, sometime?"

(...)

I had left Ron without an answer to his invite, which had happened a few weeks ago, but as luck would have it, my mum and his still got together every week for a meal, and obviously, I had been invited.
Especially since Charlie was also in town, and my mum had told me that 'it wasn't every day we got to see Charlie'.
As if I hadn't been working with him and seeing him every day for the past three years of my life.
But, anyway, mum had dragged me tho the Weasley household, where I had been warmly received by Molly and Arthur.
Molly looked over me, before turning to my mum. "When you said she looked like she had been starving herself, I thought you were exaggerating! Merlin dear, have you been eating at all?"
I huffed as I tried to stifle a laugh. If anything, I had gained some weight in Romania.
"I've been eating the same thing I have fed the dragons, Molly." I said, as seriously as I could, and heard an all-too familiar snort.
"Liar."
"Hi Charlie, miss me yet?" I asked as I left Molly and my mum to their talking and walked towards Charlie, sitting next to him on the sofa.
"You can't hide for long, Barnett. Mum's gonna come for you." Charlie warned and I laughed, patting his shoulder.
"I can always use you to deviate attention from myself." I warned and Charlie glared at me, jokingly, I was sure.
"Don't you dare." he warned as he took me under his arm and began ruffling my hair, as I tried my best to run from him.