[James Sirius Potter] - Hiding in plain sight

I was sat at the Ravenclaw table, quietly having my breakfast when my grandma's owl, Venus, came into view and dropped something in front of me.
"Your grandma?" Hugo asked with a smile, and I nodded happily.

I picked up the package, shaking it a little, hearing only the rustle of the wrapping paper.
I opened it carefully and my eyes widened in delight when I saw the book, I had been longing for over half a year.
I had gotten a new book!
What? I'm a bookaholic, it's only normal I do this!

I picked it up carefully, my eyes scanning the title and the first lines of the first page. I sighed in content hugging the book to my chest.

"Amazing!" Hugo exclaimed when he saw my new book and I could do nothing else but agree.
Picking up the letter that came with it I smiled when I read my grandma's words, which claimed my mom's attitude towards giving me the book was unacceptable and that she should've been ashamed to call herself a Ravenclaw and that being a Ravenclaw wasn't just about schoolwork.
"So?" Rose asked seating in the table right beside me. I showed her the book with a wide grin. "From your secret admirer?"

"Only if my secret admirer's my grandma." I laughed and looked back down to my book. It had such a beautiful front cover. It seemed so readable.
I locked eyes with Hugo and as if reading my mind, he, looked at book and gestured for the cover. Yet again, the only thing I could do was agree with him.

"What's all the fuss about?" Fred asked taking a seat and looking between me, Hugo and Rose.
"She got that book she has been longing for. And now she's utterly and hopelessly in love with the book." Rose explained and Fred chuckled, earning himself a dirty glance from me and from my fellow Ravenclaw, Hugo.
"Okay! Pretend I said nothing!" Fred raised his hands in surrender, and I laughed. Someone took the seat beside me and put an arm over my shoulders, making me huff in annoyance. There was only one person that could do that to me without fearing for their life. That person being none other than James Sirius Potter.

"I swear James, you are buying yourself a trip to the non-living world. Or maybe I should hex you. Dad taught me a new hex and I've been looking for excuses to try it, you'd make the perfect candidate. Yes, that'd be nice." I said annoyed as James laughed and kissed the top of my head. James and I had been dating for a couple of months, but no one knew.
Well, Fred had his suspicions, but he didn't get around to confirm it. And Hugo had apparently gotten a confession out of me and James when we were sort of inebriated.
Neither of us wanted the rumours of our relationship spreading through the school, because I was the daughter of Professor Longbottom, and everyone knew that he could be scary when he wanted to. He wasn't considered a war hero for nothing, after all.

"I swear, you two would look adorable together!" Rose squealed and I gave her a look, making her shut up. I didn't need anyone assuming that we were in a relationship and having it spreading like a Fyendfire through Hogwarts. It was bad enough that Hugo had known through our drunk personas.
"We're just friends." I announced and felt James tense. He didn't like it that we couldn't admit anything out in the open, neither did I honestly, but both of us had survival instincts and if we wanted to at least end Hogwarts, my father couldn't know about anything. Not until we were of age that is.
Or until we left Hogwarts for that matter.

"Well, she is only friends. I'm not." he joked, and I looked at him. He looked down at me. Our eyes met and we held each other's gazes with a smile. He leaned down to press his forehead to my shoulder and my breath got stuck in my throat. His back was way too curved, and I huffed in annoyance.
Damn these boys and their grow sprouts!
Until fourth year I was taller than ninety percent of the boys and girls in my class, but now, I was like the smallest or so. And James used that to his advantage and to tease me.
Although I have to admit that being smaller than him is actually good. I liked it when he hugged me, and I could lay my head on his chest and listen to his heartbeat.

"What was that, James?" I asked and he shrugged, pressing a light and discreet kiss to my neck, making me shiver. "Thought so."
I tried to keep my cool as he straightened up again and started to eat, grabbing my hand underneath the table, and going on as if he was doing nothing. I squeezed his hand and barely resisted the urge to lean on his shoulder.
We sat in silence for the breakfast, and you could actually cut the tension with a knife. I was starting to grow tired of it and decided it was time for me to intervene.

"Guys? I sense this awkward atmosphere. Let's end it." I said and they looked at me. "I'll do anything to end it."
Rose smirked and leaned towards Fred to murmur something to him and they both looked at us. They shared another knowing look before looking between me and James. James and I shared a look with Hugo, who was probably thinking what James and I were.
Mischievous smiles on their faces. I didn't like what was coming for me. I was sure that those looks on their faces meant trouble. Trouble for me.

"Well, this is sexual tension you're feeling. I bet some snogging between you and my dear cousin James over here would do just great." Rose said and I screwed my eyes shut, holding back my murderous instinct. I could feel my blush coming up my face.
James tightened his grip on my hand, and we shared a look knowing all too well that we'd only do that when we were alone in the Room of Requirement. And to do that we didn't need their permission or their suggestions.
Rose, Hugo and Fred stood up, claiming they had classes. Me and James didn't have classes for another good two hours.

"Well? They were kind of right you know?" James said and I sighed.
"Not here James." I whispered and he gently rubbed my knuckles with his thumb.
"What? Do you think Professor Longbottom would kill me if he knew?" James asked and I nodded.
"Not only would dad kill you, but he would also torture you before he did." I murmured and James paled. "I'm joking. But he wouldn't be all for it."
James leaned in, before looking around the now deserted great hall and pecked my lips, a mere peck turning into something deeper when I leaned into him. He ran his tongue against my bottom lip, making me part my lips slightly, enough for his tongue to enter my mouth, starting a war. At this point, I didn't even care if anyone would see us. I couldn't care less about my dad right now.
That was now because if he found us out in such compromising position then we would be doomed.
My hands were tangled in his hair as his hands made their way down to my hips, rubbing gentle circles.
We parted and he put my legs on top of his, rubbing my knee with his thumb.

"Professor Longbottom will kill me if this ever reaches his ears, you know that right?" James asked and I smiled. We both knew I wouldn't let my father touch a single hair on his head.
"I wouldn't let him. Some begging and some eye batting and he'd let it slide. Besides, I can always say it wasn't us." I said and James agreed silently.

"Okay, I knew something was up. Never thought this was happening but I knew something was up." We heard someone say and we both looked up, seeing my father. James immediately paled at the sight of my father, and I reached for his hand quietly and secretively.
"Hi dad!" I smiled and he dismissed me, making me look at him offended. He was my dad and ignored me as if I was some dust on the corner. Honestly, we shared freaking DNA and yet he didn't even pay me - his daughter, mind you- any attention.
"Young Potter, we'll have to talk. Very seriously." My father said and James squeezed my hand. I could feel James starting to shake and I squeezed his hand between both of mine as I rubbed soothing circles on his hands.

"Let him be dad. We're just friends. Very good friends at that. James is my best friend!" I explained and my father looked at me. He eyed me up and down as if telling me to shut up. He should know better than telling me to shut up. I tagged along with Gryffindor's and was a Ravenclaw. What did he expect?
"First, I wasn't talking to you. And second, I thought Fred was your best friend." my father said, and I eyed him dangerously. Gryffindor's were rubbing off on me too much. That and maybe my Slytherin potions partner.
"Well, neither are you talking to him. Me and James have to go, we need to study for our exams. And also, it is possible for someone to have two best friends you know?" I said and lifted my legs from James's lap, standing up and pulling him with me. I pulled him to the library and when we reached there, we sat in silence.
"Pick up a book, dad will be coming to see if we are really studying." I said and he stood up and picked two potions books. He sat down and handed me a book, starting to read the other himself. He was sat next to me and put his hand on my thigh, making me sigh lowly.

"James?" I called out and he looked like he was doing nothing.
"What is it, my love?" he asked smiling mischievously.
"Your hand, young man. If you don't want to have to live your life without a hand, then take it off." I hissed and he smiled at me.
"You'd never." he beamed, and I shrugged.
"I guess you'll never know. Unless you don't take your hands off." I smiled maniacally at him, and he shivered, but his eyes darkened.
"You have no idea of how much I want you right now." he whispered in my ear, and I sighed and bit my bottom lip. His words were enough to set me on the edge and I couldn't wait until my father came to check on us so we could leave to the room of requirement in peace.
"Shut up James." I murmured and looked at the entrance of the library, seeing my father coming in and directing towards our table. "My dad's coming this way." I mumbled and he retreated his hand as we continued on with our reading.

"Kids. What are you studying?" he asked, and I lifted my book towards him.
"Potions. Professor Zabini has given us research and we need to get done with it." I explained and my father nodded.
"Are you partners?"
"No dad. My partner is a Slytherin, but he is taking History of Magic and is in class right now, so I'll have my part done and then we'll join our research." I carried on explaining and thank Merlin professor Zabini had actually given us a research work. If my dad went around asking, he would obviously know that I wasn't lying.
"I'll leave you kids to your research." my father eyed us suspiciously as he left and when he was out of earshot, both James and I sighed in relief.

"Perks of dating a Ravenclaw. Your girlfriend is smart enough to remember using your schoolwork as an excuse." he cajoled, and I smiled at him.
"Flattery will get you nowhere Potter." I smiled at him, and he ran a hand through my hair.
"Of course it won't." he smiled as we went to return the books to where we had taken them. After we returned the books, we picked up our things and James put an arm over my shoulder as we exited the library. Pince was eyeing us dirtily and I sighed. She would be so pleased if she told my dad about me and James leaving the library hugged to each other.
"Room of requirement?" James asked and I nodded as we happily skipped towards the said room. When we entered it and the door was closed behind us, I looked around the room, seeing a room with a king-sized bed. Upon hearing my shocked gasp, James let out a laugh.
"What love? It's not like we've never been here before." he winked at me as his arms circled my waist. I threw my arms around his neck and smiled at him.
"We still have an hour before class. Shall we make the most of it?" I asked with a sly smile, and he leaned down to press his lips to mine.
"You tell me." he mumbled as he gave my waist a light squeeze.