Chapter 23: The Beach House

"I feel like my heart is stuck in bumper to bumper,
Traffic, I'm under pressure cause I can't have you the way that I want,
Let's just go back to the way it was,
When we were on Honeymoon Avenue."

Honeymoon Avenue - Ariana Grande
.
.
.
.
.
I laid in bed with my back against Hunter's hard chest. Everyone decided to call it a night and went to their respective room, Christian decided to just stay over the night. My mind was wandering and sleep would just not come that easily. I shifted in my mate's arms, hoping to find a comfortable position that'll bring me enough comfort for me to doze off. But it doesn't.

"What is it baby?" Hunter mumbled from beside me, all my shifting probably woke him up.

I sighed and looked over towards him, his eyes was still closed but I knew he was wide awake, "I'm scared..." I mumbled out. And I was. I know these things that's been happening to me is completely not normal. And yet I have no clue on what the hell is going on with me.

With my words, Hunter slowly opened his eyes and looked at me. He didn't say anything for a little while, just kept on looking at me. After a minute or so he brushed my hair away from my face and cupped my cheeks.

"I promise to find out whatever's happening to you. But I need you to tell me when these things happens again, we need to find a pattern or some sort. I know I haven't been there for you that much, my duties as king has hindered my duties as your mate, but trust in my heart that I love you and I will never let anything bad happen to you. So please don't be scared, love." He breathed out. Guilt clearly written all over his face.

My beautiful king.

I shook my head at his words, although it's true that we've rarely spent much time together, I understood him. Well, I try to understand. "I know you would have change that in a heartbeat if you could. But some things are just not in our control, your duties lie to your people too. I cannot make you abandon them, nor do I want you to." I said, giving butterfly kisses along his jawline.

His eyes closes and I could hear a soft purr from his chest. I decided to take it a step further, kissing and nibbling the soft skin of his neck. Sucking at the spot that would have been showing my mark.

"When can you mark me?" I asked, looking up into his eyes.

My mate instantly pulled back from me, frowning at the sudden question, "Baby, you know why I can't right now..."He trailed off. His answer reminding me of the truth that I've kept locked in the back of my mind since the morning of my heat.

I will never become his priority. When it comes down to choose between me or the throne, I knew the answer would never be me.

Instead of showing the hurt my wolf and I felt from his rejection, I simply just nodded and turned away from him, closing my eyes. I knew he wanted to say more but we knew we'd both hit a dead end if we continued this conversation. And both of us decided that we were just not ready to hit that end, crashing and burning. So we did the next best, we hit the brake and went to sleep.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////

I felt lips everywhere. My eyes, my nose, my cheeks, my lips, making me sigh and open my eyes. There sat my mate at the edge of my side of the bed, looking glorious as fuck even in the morning. His broad chest on display, showing off every bit of muscle this man has, with his tussled up bed hair and shit eating grin.

"Good morning my love." He said before leaning down and giving me a kiss. In which I blocked by covering my mouth with my hand.

"Morning breath," I said, making him frown and rip my hands away from my mouth.