10 | His disbelief

Chapter 10: The disbelief he had

Ash looked up at Misty as he touched his neck and winced. He wondered, how could such a deadly person look like such an angelic beauty? It was a mystery.

"I..." Ash tried to speak.

"Don't say anything." Misty instructed him coldly. Ash's eyes squinted from time to time due to the pain, which was fortunately starting to decrease. There was an awkward silence between them for a while, until Misty talked again.

"Follow me." She said and walked towards one of the many doors in the hallway. Ash followed her slowly, not daring to speak anything since he didn't want to anger Misty.

She opened the door and went inside. Ash came behind her and looked around. It looked like a study room. There were a few shelves full of big fat books, some chairs near the wall, and a wooden table with a feather-pen, some ancient pages, ink, and other stuff. The walls were a cream color, contrasting with the wooden colored things in the room.

Misty went towards the tall chair behind the table and sat down, gesturing to Ash to sit on one of the other ones. He obeyed.

"Have you decided?" Misty asked him after a moment. Ash nodded.

"I'll help you." Ash said, trying to sound serious and stern but his voice was hoarse and broken.

"Very well, good choice." Misty said, nodding satisfyingly.

Like he had a choice.

Misty tapped her fingers on the table as Ash stared at her, this time his face monotonous. He didn't say anything until a thought struck his mind.

"Tell me about the empire." Misty understood what Ash wanted to know.

"It was...it was just like you said. It was happy, luxurious, fantastical, everything. People from all over the world used to come visit it, throughout the year. The places, the creatures, the God, everything was a sight to see at Elenia. It was called, The Kingdom of Beauty." Misty explained as she slightly swayed her right leg under the chair. Ash was silent, taking in all the information he was getting. Misty continued.

"All people believed in one God, Elena. The place was named after her. Legends say she was the one who always protected Elenia, by the help of her bird, Elenal. It was a huge bird, and it had a say in most of the things related to Elenia. Including who'll be the ruler."

"Huh?" Ash asked, confused.

"It is said that if the Elenial bird is not in favor of the existing king or queen, it destroys everything. That's what happened, when..." Misty trailed off.

"When you killed them." Ash finished it for her.

"...Yeah."

"So, the bird wasn't in favor of you?" Ash asked her.

"No one would be in favor of a sinner." Misty stated. Ash nodded slightly.

"So, because of you...Elenia was destroyed." Ash concluded, staring at Misty. She nodded after a moment.

"Do you feel anything after destroying your own kingdom? Given that you knew the destruction would happen?" Ash asked in disbelief, hoping Misty would show some kind of feelings.

"Even if I did, what's done is done." Misty said, getting up and walking towards the door. She opened, going out, but not before saying,

"Ice packs are in the fridge." 

~

Ash was on his bed, an ice pack held against his neck firmly with the help of his hand. He watched some funny trends, the moments people made when the year was about to end. His endless laughs was something which proved he was distracted from reality, at least for a while.