The First Star

Sector Party Venue

The three managers had spoken to some of their Passionis business contacts over the next hour, and Defne had taken notes on her phone with instructions on who to set up meetings with over the coming weeks, as a result of those discussions. Omer had smiled gently at her throughout the evening, pleased with both her presence and her professionalism.

He'd allowed her to excuse herself while he spoke to an old friend from manufacturing, and whilst Sinan and Yasemin were networking, sensing that she could use a break and some time to unwind. His eyes however, had sought her out often, and when he looked up next, he was surprised and concerned to see that she was speaking with his aunt, whom he'd been unaware had even received an invite.

Excusing himself politely from his companions, he made his way over to them, hoping that his aunt wasn't imposing herself on Defne. His assistant looked up and met his eyes with a nervous smile. "Ah Sir, we were just talking about you."

"About me?" Neriman turned to him with a forced bright smile. "Aunt, what a classy dress."

"Oh, my dear, I am so proud of you. That's what I was telling Defne just now. The most handsome guy on the planet is my one and only nephew." Neriman beamed at Omer, despite the deception that she was involved in, he didn't doubt for a second her affection for him, his aunt genuinely adored her nephew.

His eyes flickered to Defne's before returning to his aunt. "You're embarrassing me.... But I had no idea you wanted to come tonight."

He could see Defne from the corner of his eye, the smile that didn't quite reach her eyes, telling him that she was uncomfortable.

"They insisted, so I thought I would show face." She delivered her line with a hint of self-importance.

Looking back to Defne he wanted to check she was okay. "How are you feeling, Defne? Are you enjoying yourself?"

"What enjoyment, Sir? We're working, we're here to do business." He smirked, impressed. Feeling playful she used her hands to present his aunt, as though she were a stranger. "Neriman Iplicki, spouse of Necmi Iplicki. And at the same time, one of the most beautiful women in high society."

His aunt smiled, feigning flattery and Omer raised his eyebrows, loving Defne's playful introduction. "Is that so? Well, Neriman Iplicki, would you honour me with a dance?"

Neriman smiled, impressed and held out her hand. "You crazy youngsters."

Taking the hand, Omer led his aunt to the floor and into the dance. Defne watched from the sidelines, relieved to have the pressure of Neriman removed, even if only temporarily. Omer was a good dancer it would seem, she assumed he must go to many events like this, he'd certainly been incredible confident during their dance earlier.

On the dancefloor his aunt gushed as he led her. "My handsome boy, you dance so well. It reminds me of when we used to dance with your mother."

"This isn't the right time to remember my mother, Aunt. This is a business event; we shouldn't get emotional."

"You should be a little bit more emotional. Let yourself go a little, leave yourself to the wind."

Looking over her shoulder towards where Defne was watching them with a gentle smile, he felt his heart flutter. "Everyone is talking about the wind today."

"What's that? Has someone been drawn into someone's breeze? Tell me Omer." The calculating smile on her face chilled him.

"Shame on you. No one can talk about the wind when you're here, aunt. Don't worry." He knew his aunt well, flattery was always the way to draw her off topic.