Just What I Need

Nihan's House

Defne lay in bed, weak and drained. She'd cried more today than she had in years, she probably hadn't cried like this since her mother left, not even when Esra broke her arm falling down the stairs at home when she was supposed to be looking after her. She'd dozed on and off in Nihan's spare bed since she arrived, no strength left to cry, Nihan holding her close and consoling her.

Nihan had been right, she'd told Defne that people like them, they had no right to dream. Existing was hard enough without adding hopes into the mix. Swinging her legs over the bed she pushed herself up and stood by the open window, feeling like her heart and lungs were being crushed and hoping that fresh air would be of some help. Looking down at the street, she was shocked to see Omer there, speaking to one of the neighbourhood boys who pointed in the direction of Nihan's house.

What was he doing here? How did he know where she was? Her heart filled with hope, that he'd come here, maybe she'd been wrong, why else would he be here? He looked up, seeing her looking down at him, their gazes holding. She could see anger and hurt in his eyes and she panicked. Stepping back from the window, away from his gaze.

"Omer... he's here, he's here."

"Defne?" Nihan appeared behind her. "You're acting crazy."

"It's Omer, he's outside." Nihan walked to the window but Defne grabbed her arm. "Don't, don't you dare. I just walked away from the window when he saw me. Don't let him see you." The sound of the doorbell caused them both to look. "Oh god, he's here. No, I can't do this... I can't ask him... I don't want to hear his answer."

"Don't be ridiculous. The man's come to the front door, you need to go down there and confront him."

She knew Nihan was right, but she felt weak and defeated. "Alright, but I don't know what to say to him."

The bell rang again and Nihan placed her hands on her hips. "Defne, it can't go on like this, go down there and speak to him. What could be worse..."

"I've already walked away from him; how much worse can it get?" She agreed with her friend.

"Yeah."

"Okay, I'm going."

"Go on... that's it! Well done." Nihan tried to support her friend, but as Defne disappeared down the stairs, she turned to look at the open window, realising that Defne had left a mess behind her.

Defne turned, heading down the stairs from the small attic bedroom. Stopping at the bottom of the stairs, she hesitated. Turning to look in the full-length hallway mirror. Looking at herself, and remembering Neriman's words. Here she was just Defne, not Defne the assistant, not Omer's Defne. Here she was a best friend, a sister, a granddaughter. Could he really accept her like this? She hardly recognised herself anymore. If she didn't know who she was, how could she expect him to love the real her?

Wiping the last of her tears, she steeled herself, turning to the door and opening it.

"Defne? Are you okay?" It was Serdar, her mouth fell open, where did Omer go? She looked past Serdar into the street.

"He left? He just left."

Serdar looked around behind him. "Who?"

"Omer, he was right here... he came here."

Passionis - The Next Day

Defne walked into her old office, the one with the glass separating her from Omer. She'd gone early this morning to Sinan's house, convincing him that she was confused, by her feelings, by Omer's, but more importantly by the deals she'd made, but that despite it that she wanted to be Omer's assistant again. Ceren had quit the week before, so Omer was looking for a new assistant again. Sinan made it clear that he wasn't happy with it, but he agreed to allow it.