Sometimes You Just Need to Surrender

Passionis

Defne hadn't heard from Omer with the exception of the text that she received to tell her that he was going away on business and advising her to go directly to the company. She'd made a promise to herself that she wouldn't miss him, or think of him, but it was a promise easier made than kept. Her eyes looked for him through the glass window separating their offices, despite knowing he wouldn't be there. When Derya came, for whatever it is that Derya ever comes for, she made sure that Defne was primed for gossip, and so when Sinan visited her to ask where Omer had gone, he dropped the bombshell that Yasemin had gone to Rome. Which meant they were there together.

Her heart seriously couldn't take much more of this. Yesterday he'd stomped all over it, telling her to keep her feelings to herself and know her place, today he was whisking Yasemin off to one of the most romantic cities on the continent. That damn book, she had never regretted buying anything more.

When Sinan offered her an opportunity to get out of the office for a while she jumped at the chance, being away from the office meant she would be away from her thoughts of Omer. Sinan was fun to spend time with, he didn't take life too seriously, didn't stare at her intensely, didn't look at her as though he was trying to discover all of her secrets. She wondered, if she'd never been Omer's assistant, if she never spent time with him... would she still have a crush on Sinan? Could she have been happy with the handsome, friendly man that came into Manu's and set her heart racing every time? The idea was dismissed quickly, she didn't need to spend all of her time with Omer in order to fall in love with him, she was sure it would have happened even if they only met briefly. She was destined to suffer from this unrequited love, people like her, they didn't get to dream. People like her were fated to watch the happiness of others from the side lines.

Spending the day with Sinan had made the day pass quickly, and he'd taken her directly home after, which meant that she was home at a decent hour for a change, but as soon as she walked through her doors, her mind returned to Omer and his words and depression wrapped itself around her.

The House in the Mountains

He'd come here to put some time and space between himself and Defne, himself and Sinan... Defne and Sinan together. The house was often a place of solace, somewhere he could reflect and work through his issues, but try as he might, he couldn't rest, his mind wouldn't stop replaying every look, smile and touch. Their brief history haunted him and he grudgingly came to the realisation that he would get no peace here.

He called Sadri, the old man was full of wise words, and he understood Omer better than anyone ever could. Maybe he could help Omer to put his thoughts in order, to find some semblance of peace.

When Sadri arrived, Omer prepared them a lunch of steak and charred vegetables, and they spoke companionably about nothing and everything, but Omer knew it was only a matter of time before Sadri addressed the reason for being summoned here. Clearing the table, Omer returned with tea, the only drink that he and Sadri shared.

Sipping at his cup, Sadri watched Omer over the rim. "This is the only place left from your parents, isn't it?"

"I gave everything else to my grandpa, so it's just this place left.... I wouldn't have taken this one either but.."

"I know... your mother's memory is here... you brought me here once before, do you remember?.. My kids lost their mind when they saw it." Sadri chuckled. "They asked why you slept in the back of the shop if you owned this."

"This is far away Usta, how could I travel between here and the shop?"

Sadri folded his arms and waited for a long moment before speaking again. "I understand. You're not going to tell me why you came here..."