I Can't Do This

Thank you to everyone who takes the time to comment, I don't always have the time to respond, but I love reading them and hearing that you are enjoying reading along with me. For people that are chasing me for updates, it takes a while to watch and re-watch the episodes to get the subtitling, and then to interpret it into the story, lots of pause and rewind action. I will continue to go as quickly as I can. Happy holidays to everyone celebrating over the next week.

The drive was peaceful for the most part, with Defne chattering excitedly the rest of the time. His heart felt full, complete, and he constantly sought out her hand with his, grasping it gently as he drove. She didn't seem to mind, squeezing his fingers and smiling at him.

They took it in turns to ask questions, the questions started off fairly innocent and vague, but soon they moved onto their feelings and thoughts about their relationship and attraction.

Defne bit the inside of her lip, wondering if she was making him uncomfortable. She was used to talking about how she felt, but Omer was quiet and reserved. "Am I making you uncomfortable?"

He looked at her surprised and kissed her hand. "Of course not.. I want you to ask me anything you want to know."

She smiled and turned her body toward him. "Alright... that day in your house, when you told me that you didn't approve of personal relationships in the workplace... what made you change your mind? I mean, you told me not to cross the line.. but now... well.."

He took his eyes off of the road to look at her, confused. "I told you not to cross the line?" She shrugged and nodded. Sighing he shook his head. "I seem to have made it a habit to misunderstand you Defne, I thought that you and Sinan..."

"Sinan Bey?!" He caught her amused smile.

"You were always together, always laughing... I'm ashamed to admit it, but I was jealous. Crazily jealous. That day I was ill, and he showed up, you offered him some of the soup that you'd made for me... I just couldn't take it, but with good reason! You definitely acted as though you and Sinan were involved."

"Me? I did?"

He nodded and chuckled. "There were lots of little things... leaving with him after the sector party, showing up together the next day... I saw you both on the yacht, downstairs, I guess I got that pretty wrong... and your personal business that day, I saw you both at the elevator. When you quit and came back as his assistant... it all just cemented the idea that you were together."

Squeezing his hand she placed a gentle kiss to the back of it. "You're right, it doesn't look good. But, if I'd even thought you felt that way..."

"It doesn't matter, none of it matters now." He smiled at her in reassurance. "Why did you quit Defne? I came to you that night, after learning that you'd bought the book and given it to Yasemin, I wanted to tell you how I felt, find out if you felt the same way... and when you quit, it was like my world was falling apart."

"I'm sorry. I was confused. You told me you didn't approve of personal relationships and I thought you were telling me to back off."

"Never Defne. If I'd known, I'd have set you straight right there and then."

"Anyway.. when you showed up, I thought you were taunting me. I thought you knew how I felt, because of that conversation at your house, and I couldn't take it anymore. Being near you was hurting me. So I did the only thing that I felt I could do."

He nodded, sighing, unhappy at the time they'd lost. "Why did you give the book to Yasemin? Can you tell me now at least?"

Sighing she rested her head against the window. "Things were complicated that day.. First you were angry at me about the cake that morning and I was so disappointedand confused, then I was tired after organising the shelves and to top it all off, I had to deal with your Aunt. I guess I got a bit emotional. When Yasemin told Derya that she needed another gift urgently, I gave her mine, I just suddenly wanted it to be gone, but I assure you I was cursing myself fifteen minutes later when you kissed her cheek and asked her to leave with you..." She chuffed at her blindness.