Unfathomable

The bus ride to work was unbearable, on one hand she wanted to get there as soon as she could to see him, on the other, she knew that the sooner she got there the quicker the time would come to look at him one last time and say goodbye. The man with the sweaty armpit held up in front of her face probably didn't help matters.

His Aunt's ploy to unveil her as the mystery model at the showcase would anger him, and that would be the last look she'd ever receive. She would still have to leave him behind.

Walking slowly towards the gates of Omer's house she spotted Sukru leaning against the car with a newspaper in his hands.

"Good morning Sukru Abe."

"Good morning Defne.. how are you?" He smiled at her warmly, seeing Sukru in the morning always brightened her day.

"Eh..." She shrugged.

Folding his paper he laid it on the car. "Last day huh?"

"Yes."

"I'm sad to see you go, but maybe we'll still see one another... you never know." His smile was kind, wise. "Mr Omer is going to miss you, I know that for sure."

"I'm sure he'll get a better assistant soon. You know he doesn't like change." Sukru shrugged, he could see her mood was low. "Anyway, I should go in."

"Uh, of course. He came back about 5 minutes ago, you should go."

Smiling she shifted her bags on her shoulder and pulled out her key, going to unlock the red door for the last time. Pushing it open she looked around, remembering how awed she'd been when she saw his home for the first time. She looked down at the key in her hand, wondering if she should leave it here now, before deciding he actually might need something from her later and pocketing it.

Shaking off her morose thoughts she headed for the kitchen, prepared to make his last breakfast, dropping her bags on the table as she passed.

Her eyes wandered around the room, somewhere they'd spent so much of their time together, time alone. Her stomach felt hollow, head hazy as she moved around the kitchen, putting his tray together. Memories of their first meeting in this room flooded her mind, and she couldn't help the tears that threatened to spill as she set about his breakfast, not hearing him enter the kitchen until he spoke, lost in her memories and feelings."

"Defne."

Wiping her tears, her back turned to him, she sniffled before turning back to her task with a small, forced smile. "Good morning Sir."

"Good morning." The tension between them was palpable, suffocating, the silence stretched, deafening. He couldn't remember there ever being silences like this between them. "So this is our last breakfast huh?"

She couldn't meet his eyes, her throat closing, forcing her to clear it to get her response out. "Yes, the last one."

Looking away he tried to control his emotions, wondering if anything could ever be as hard for him as this was, if there was anything he could have done to make her stay. She spoke causing him to focus on her again. "I'll go over the changes to your schedule.. Miss Yasemin needed your car before going to the venue, she left you a message. A digital magazine want to interview you right before the Showcase, they're waiting on our response."

He couldn't take this, watching her moving around his kitchen like she wouldn't be walking out of his door for the last time today. "Defne..." He grasped her arm gently, his dark eyes searching her saddened, wet ones. His mouth struggled to form the words, to tell her how he felt, to ask her to stay, but the uncertainty that he felt when he thought of her response stopped him. He dragged his eyes away, before he could say something stupid. "I'll take care of things here, you can wait in the car."