Kabanata 19

Warning: This chapter contains brutal scene that may not be recommended for sensitive readers. If you are one, please read at your own risk or better yet not read this at all. I don't want to cause any triggers. Thank you.

ANOTHER SON BORN FROM THE SUN

THE air around them became colder when the guy came. Lis' eyebrow twitched. How ironic. The man had the energy of the sun, yet there was a hint of a cold breeze surrounding him.

"Where's Cortez?" bulong niya kay Aryl na nasa kaniyang tabi.

"Natutulog."

Hindi niya alam kung matutuwa ba siya sa sagot nito o hindi. Well, guess it might be better this way. He didn't want more people to be involved.

"Why do you want to kill us?" Lis asked the man. It was obvious that he came on purpose. The bloodlust stinging his nose was enough proof that the man intended to kill them.

Naglakad palapit si Lis sa barindilya at sinilip ang baba. The ground had been damaged because of the root earlier. His spells were too destructive that it might ruin the building, so it might be better to fight down there.

But wait—

If he could recall it correctly, the Shadows were called to be fast and quite secretive that until now not one of them had been caught yet. He wondered about their fighting style. How would they make it silent?

"Ah." Bumaba ito sa barindilya. "I've been ordered. Lisianthus Hibius Crimson and Aster Alpas Orison, and there's one other S-gene. You three trespassed the treaty and now have become criminals. By the order of the council, you are to die by my hands."

"Is that it?" Naglakad siya papalapit sa direksyon nito. "That's quite questionable. As far as I can remember, the punishment in breaking the treaty is not death, but only imprisonment."

Lis felt suspicious on some parts of his word as well. Croissant had been in Faegika for two years, so why did they just decided to capture him now?

He flinched when the man chuckled. "It's an order. It's really nothing personal. If you just stayed out of this and didn't involve yourself on the traitor, things might have been different with you."

"Traitor?"

Tumango ito habang pinaglalaruan sa kamay ang dagger na lumipad kanina. "You know Pahima. She turned their back on us after an S-gene came here. And since you two are quite close with the Phoenix, you are now involved."

That didn't make sense.

"We have eyes and ears around, you see? You should've put your nose out instead of squeezing Pahima any information about us. Now, you're going to die." Matapos nitong bitiwan ang mga salita, mabilis nitong ibinato ang dagger sa direksyon niya.

Sinangga niya iyon gamit ang mga ugat na natira kanina. "I wonder how you'll kill us without others noticing."

"Oh? About that?" Tinuro nito ang tainga. "Were muted. They can't hear us. Though they can still see us and if they do, they'll meet death as well. Including you too, miss black magician."

Tinaas nito ang daliri at tinuro sa direksyon nila. Lis prepared himself for an attack when a streak of light shone on the tip of his finger. A sound like of an eagle vibrated on his ear as the man released a bullet light.

'A laser beam?' And he didn't even cast a spell.

Handa na si Lis na sanggain ito ngunit hindi pala ito papunta sa kaniya kundi sa kaniyang likuran.

"Aster!" isang sigaw mula kay Aryl ang kaniyang narinig.

Nilingon niya ang situwasyon ng kaniyang butler at saktong tumama ang laser beam sa noo nito. Muling napasigaw ang babae habang nasaksihan ang pagbagsak ng katawan ng kaibigan. Mabilis na kumalat ang dugo mula sa noo nito papunta sa sahig.