27. I choose you...

Zhan woke up smelling something delicious and as he stretched lazily, he realised he wasn't in his own bed. His eyes popped open and Zhan recognised the lights hanging down from the ceiling above him and the silky sheets beneath him. The events from the day before flashed in front of his eyes and Zhan warily looked beside him, surprised and relieved to find himself alone. He made sure he was alone in the room before he got out of the bed, flustered when he saw the shirt he was wearing. "Why the fuck would you wear his clothes?", Zhan scolded himself and searched for his phone and wallet as he thought of leaving. If the heavens were on his side Yibo would have left for his office and Zhan could say hello to Yibo's housekeeper before leaving the house. Zhan didn't want to talk to Yibo right now. His head was a mess because of yesterday and Zhan needed time to think. 'It's not like you will leave for long. You love him too much and will take him back even if he stabs you', he thought to himself and jumped when he heard a throat clearing.

"I have no intention of stabbing you and I am happy you still love me", said Yibo stifling a smile and Zhan's cheeks flamed red. "I said that out loud, didn't I?", he asked rhetorically and stiffened when Yibo kissed his cheek. "Yes, you did. Thinking about leaving?", Yibo asked eyeing him and Zhan nodded stiffly. "I..uh..need to go back to my house. Yubin will start worrying and I need to get some work done." There. A perfectly reasonable excuse. Unfortunately, Zhan forgot who he was dealing with. "I told Yubin about you staying and he dropped your laptop here. Work from home", came Yibo's voice and Zhan could only stare dumbfounded at the forwardness. "I will. Work from my home. See you", Zhan made his way to the living room, checking if he could book a cab but stopped when he caught the delicious scent again. "Or you could leave after eating breakfast", came the suggestion and following Yibo's voice came the growling sound of Zhan's stomach. Zhan was still debating whether or not to take up the offer when he heard Yibo moan behind him. He turned around and saw Yibo with a pair of chopsticks in his hand, clearly enjoying his breakfast and the next second Zhan was at the counter helping himself. He chose to ignore the fond smile on Yibo's face and focused on filling his stomach with dumplings, internally groaning at the taste. By the time he was done it was impossible for Zhan to move and he could see Yibo silently laughing at him.

"I don't know what's so funny", he muttered and Yibo shrugged. "It's not everyday I get to see my baobei eat to his heart's content. I am just happy." Zhan would be lying if he said the words didn't melt him on spot. Taking a sip of the sweet soymilk Zhan checked his phone but yelled out a, "Hey!" when his phone was taken away. "What are you doing, Yibo?", he asked exasperated and Yibo smiled at him, shoving the phone in his pocket. "I need you to get ready. I am taking you out on a date." Nothing would have shocked Zhan as much as Yibo's words did. "Why would you think I will let you take me out on a date?", he said evenly and Yibo stood up from his chair to place his hands on either side of Zhan, effectively caging him in. "I have missed three years, baobei. I need to compensate for that otherwise when we are both old and wrinkly, you will complain that I didn't take you out enough. Can't have that. So get ready and we will go somewhere." Yibo smiled again but Zhan just looked away. "Ask Yifei if you want to go out, I am not going anywhere with you. Just leave me alone." Zhan knew he was being petty. He didn't want to be but he was just so infuriated. Zhan just wanted to be alone and lick his wounds in a corner. Wanted to sort things through in his head, come to terms with the fact that Yibo's family had stooped so low just to get rid of him. But, Yibo was not letting him. Zhan knew why. He knew Yibo inside out. He knew Yibo was afraid to let him leave but Zhan didn't know what else to do. When Yibo didn't say anything Zhan looked up at him and the scowl on Yibo's face was..frightening. A finger tipped Zhan's chin up and Yibo eyed at Zhan's mouth making Zhan nervous. "It's amazing how such harsh words come off these beautiful lips." Zhan pursed his lips unconsciously and suddenly Yibo placed his hands on his waist, coming to Zhan's eye level. "I know you want to hurt me but don't say things like this. You know I am incapable of being with someone else, incapable of leaving you. Curse me..hit me all you want but don't say such things. Okay?" A feather light kiss was placed on Zhan's head and he was hugged again and Zhan closed his eyes to embrace the moment.

"Your uncle and cousin won't stop, Yibo",Zhan asked softly into Yibo's chest and the arms around Zhan tightened. "I know. They won't succeed. I won't let them." Zhan pulled away hearing the words and held Yibo's shoulders his voice firm as he spoke. "You think you know what this means but I think someone needs to spell it out for you, Yibo. Your uncle hates my guts. He will never accept that a man is a part of his nephew's life. Who knows what Shu Wei will say next. Yibo...I can only endure so much. I will break one day and hurt you. I don't want to create differences between you and your uncle. I really don't but I will be forced to ask you to pick a side if this continues. I will...expect you to be on my side and when you choose to be with your family....it will break me completely, Wang Yibo. I have nothing more left. Three years ago, I was stupid enough to think that I could face it all because I thought you wouldn't let go. But, now I know what it feels like when you are left all alone. I know you say you didn't want to leave me, I know you still love me but I can't bring myself to do this again, Yibo. It hurts too much when you turn your back on me. It hurts too much and sorry but I refuse to go through that again. I owe myself that much. I will only get hurt if a choose to get hurt. I won't choose pain again, Yibo." Zhan bit his lips and blinked rapidly to will his tears away. "I don't want to hurt you, Yibo. I don't. But,I need to think of myself too. I can't-" The words were cut off when Yibo walked away. Zhan was sure he heard his heart shatter. Wiping the tear that had escaped his eye Zhan got off the stool but before he could leave Yibo came back with a small box in his hand.

"W-What is that?", he croaked seeing the box and nearly shouted when Yibo got down on his knee. "I wanted you give this to you in a more romantic setting. Somewhere with good music and good food. Somewhere with a lot of people so that I could beg you to say yes and save me from losing face." Yibo smiled so bright that Zhan couldn't stop the sob from leaving his throat. "What are you saying,Yibo?", he cried hoping this wasn't another one of Yibo's stupid jokes but the way Yibo was looking at him, dreams and warmth in those dark eyes, Zhan knew Yibo was serious. The box was popped open and Yibo took out the beautiful platinum band out taking Zhan's hand in his. "This is me saying that I choose you, Xiao Zhan. I will always be on your side. Be my family, baobei. Say yes so that I can call you my husband. Choose me, Zhan-Zhan." "You will resent me for this, Yibo. I don't want you to force yourself. Your uncle-" "I told you I choose you, Zhan." Yibo cut off Zhan's shaky words with his tender ones and kissed Zhan's hand. "I am madly in love with you. I made the mistake of letting you go before and I can't make it again. If you leave me I will surely die, baobei. I told you, I breathe for you. Choose me, Zhan. If you want me, if you love me and want to live the rest of your life with me...please, choose me." Yibo saw the tears in Zhan's eyes and his heart ached. There was fear on Zhan's face and it hurt that Zhan was so afraid to be happy. Yibo dreaded that Zhan might say no but when a broad smile came on that beautiful face and Zhan nodded, Yibo was done for. "I choose you, Yibo." The next second the ring was on Zhan's finger and Yibo had taken Zhan's mouth in a deep kiss. A kiss sweeter than any other they had ever shared. "I love you, Yibo", Zhan said between gasps and Yibo smiled, tasting the salt from their tears as he kissed Zhan again. "I love you more. So want to go out on a date with me? Maybe this time I will win you something less ugly than that piece of wood." Zhan laughed at his words and Yibo brushed his nose against Zhan sweetly. "Yes...Let's go."