chapter one

INTO THE STARS
———
MALACHI

The first thing they tell you about my life was how I died. Theoretically, of course. They tell you about the death of the old me. The happier me. They wonder what had to have happened in my life to kill that side of me. What could I possibly have gone through to form the person I am today.

What they don't know is that version of myself is buried alongside my mother.

If the old me could see how I am in the future, he would've wondered how that young, lively boy changed so much.

I would tell him that the world does that to some people. I would tell him to live while I am young and still believe the world could do no wrong and has no monsters living in disguise.

I would tell him all the shit I wish I knew before my life got fucking ruined.

I would tell him that each person's life is like a ticking time bomb waiting to detonate.

I learnt that young. You do not know when anyone could be there one day and gone the next, but when they go, inevitably, it always leaves a wave of pain in its wake.

That's what death has taught and done to me. Robbed me of my innocence and happiness. No one should have to encounter death at such a young age and at the hands of someone else, no less. Not at the hands of someone I looked up to.

As the gates to the prison close behind me, I spot someone familiar standing up ahead. My pace slowed and I resist the need to roll my eyes.

Of fucking course.

Reaching a distance that people won't be concerned about hearing a twenty-one-year-old man scolding a teenager, I stop. Unfortunately, my eyes weren't perceiving me like I hoped they had been. Before I know it, the urge grew too strong, and I rolled my eyes. "Kohen."

With a glance in his periphery, Kohen makes brief eye contact with me, acknowledging me with a small nod of his head. Paying no more attention to me, Kohen skates around the parking lot as if he isn't surrounded by security guards and prisoners less than a hundred feet away from him.

"What are you doing here?" I question rather aggressively, judging by my tone. My gaze following each one of his movements whilst he moves around the parking lot, dodging a car that almost hit him.

Kohen shrugs, finally halting his skating, kicking his skateboard up with his foot and catching it with his right hand. "Just wanted to come by and see my favourite brother."

I raise an arm and begin massaging my jaw in frustration, my patience being tested. Days like this, I wish people could take a fucking hint and leave me the fuck alone. "Well... next time, mind your own fucking business."

He doesn't take much offence at my snappy comment—he's used to them at this point—and simply smirks.

"Get in the car," I say through gritted teeth, growing fed up with the sound of his skateboard wheels against moving across the concrete as he skates around again.

He knows this is annoying me that's why he keeps doing it. Little bastard.

Kohen stops in front of the footpath just on the other side of Aidan's car that I had parked there earlier. He stares at the passing cars on the highway just beside the prison. A great sightseeing spot, I'm sure. On the curb, Kohen sits down, propping his elbows on his haunches and bows his head down.