chapter thirty-seven

INTO THE STARS
———
BRINLEY

There was once a time in my life when I believed my life was perfect. Young naivete, some may call it. I grew up in a small, wealthy town on the outskirts of Vermont as an only child. My family couldn't have been closer. I had a reliable group of friends and was looked up to in town. And as stereotypical as it is, I did believe it was perfect.

I had it lucky compared to others. I realize that when it all disappeared.

A small town's close-knit community is considered a key part of the American dream. Everyone knows everything that spreads through the town, gossip being the only entertainment some people receive. Rumors have the ability to ruin lives.

My father understood that hence why he was so careful and cautious of his high profile. It came as a shock—especially to my family—when news broke that my father had supposedly committed fraud. One little rumor was that set the detonation of my father's life in place. We could not leave our house without getting dirty glares and whispers from people we didn't even know.

He took to cocaine as an outlet, a clutch. And one stupid mistake, one innocuous night, led to his life being taken. My mother lost the love of her life and I lost a father figure. We lost everything we held close to us.

Since his passing, I refused to let myself think about his death. Being in denial was easier than accepting it because my life kept moving forward on the other side of the country with no changes.

I realize right now I miss my dad. I think I have for a long time, but finally acknowledging it now makes his death feel more like a reality than a mere possibility.

Sunlight gleams through the room, casting everything in a soft morning glow. I have been awake for a few minutes, bathing in the morning fatigue. Malachi stirs from beneath me, his arm tugging me closer until we are laying chest to chest.

When he finally awakes, his gray eyes look at me, the color striking. "Good morning, Jones," he says, voice gravelly and sounding a bit too hot.

I smile, raveling my legs around him and noting his cock stirring beneath me. He groans when we connect for the briefest of moments.

"What's on the agenda for today?" I ask, not really wanting to leave Malachi's, but not being so stupid because I'll have to exit at some point.

He pulls me even closer, if that was even possible. "Hopefully staying in bed. The longer we stay in bed, the less we have to clean up."

I nudge him with my elbow. "Come on, the least we can do is clean up some of the mess we contributed to."

Malachi groans when I sit up, unentangling myself from his body. I throw on a stray shirt laying on the ground, inhaling the strong, distinct smell of Malachi. I trudge to the door, opening it, not glancing back at him because I know I will cave and stay in the room if I do.

The house is completely silent, the upstairs hallway free of any mess, noticing it is a little extra clean than I have seen it, honestly. When I get downstairs, the lounge room seems tidy of any mess and the same goes for the kitchen.

Aidan and Brooklynn are both in the kitchen, eating matching bowls of cereal. Brooklynn's eyes just about pop out of their socket when she sees me stride in dressed in Malachi's shirt.

"Fuck's sake, Jones," Malachi's voice bellows from the living room, my head turning towards to sound. "They've already cleaned up."

"I noticed," I yell back, hearing heavy footsteps approach the kitchen. Malachi enters, blatantly ignoring Aidan and Brooklynn's presence and their examination.