chapter two

INTO THE STARS
———
BRINLEY

Sometimes I think about the power of water.

I think about how when a dam is about to break, all it takes is one single droplet to send it crashing down.

I think that's what happened to me.

All the suspicions piled until I finally had enough. Doubts upon doubts collected until one doubt finally allowed the truth to spill when I confronted Ben and, low and behold, always trust your gut.

Fucking small-dick man.

Every time I think about what he did, I grow more and more irritated. Here I am, sitting in the middle of one of the most important courses I have taken this year, enraged over an asshole that doesn't deserve an ounce of my time. Any more of my time, I should say.

I am in disbelief at how I dated that... fucking moron for almost three years. Almost three years I wasted on that guy for him to throw it all away as though it was nothing.

Ugh, if there was one thing I wish I would have asked him, is that who was worth ruining our entire relationship for? Actually, second thought, and was this the first time it happened or was it occurring the entire duration of our relationship?

God, I hope not. Imagine that, though. I would look like some naïve, love-struck girl who couldn't see all the signs pointing to her boyfriend's infidelity.

I check the time displayed on the corner of my laptop. Five minutes left. Knowing that I would have to cancel the coffee date Brooklynn had organised with Anna and me, makes me feel a little guilty considering Anna isn't going either, but I hope Brooklynn understands. She has been telling me that I deserve answers from Ben so I am going to get them.

At the front of the lecture hall, Professor Nilson—aka Professor Neelson with an exaggerated e sound as he likes to tell people countless times—splutters out a good deal of information about chemistry from a slideshow being presented on the interactive board. I jot down all the information I find necessary to help me study for any upcoming quizzes Nilson might set in the near future.

"Alright! Thank you everyone for your time. You are now dismissed," Professor Nilson announces to the class once he reaches the last slide of his presentation.

I pack my books and laptop into my tote bag I carry around campus, keeping my phone out to text Brooklynn, letting her know I won't be able to make it to our meetup sesh.

Me - last-minute plans came up. reschedule??

Almost instantaneously, Brooklynn responds.

Brooklynn - no worries. see you later. love you xx

I power off my phone, following some stray students down the steps and down the narrow hallway leading out to the open grassy area. The door swings open against my weight and wind whips across my face.

The last thing I should do right now is the thing that I am doing, but you know what? Some questions can't go unanswered.

Trekking across campus, I take the route I have recited to my brain. Let's hope this is the last time I go to this God-forsaken fraternity house. I take a deep breath of fresh air, savouring the way it makes my body feel and needing something to ease my growing irritation.

The last time I saw Ben, I went easy on him. Solely because I was in a state of shock he would actually do something like this to me. But now? I'll try to tame myself slightly. Slightly being the keyword.

I have had a week to think things over since I ended things with him and I have had time to process it so that asshole better expect hell when he sees me because he is going to get it.