chapter eighteen

INTO THE STARS
———
BRINLEY

Things at the cabin seem to go in an orderly pattern, you could say. You wake up and get ready to spend the entirety of your day on the slopes. Then, depending on your mood and how tired you are, you spend the evening at the nearest bar for après-ski. You then go home, sleep and repeat.

Today, however, I have some change of plans. As I walk downstairs, the warm faces of the people I have woken up to for the past three days beckon me with slight smiles or a nod of acknowledgment. I see it thrilled everyone to be awake on this beautiful morning. Sense the sarcasm?

Well, all except for one face. Malachi stares down at the contents of his coffee cup and I am sure he is aware I have entered. I am the only person yet to walk downstairs until now. Honestly, I don't really wanna look at him, either. I can barely stand the thought of staring him in the eyes after what happened in the hot tub last night...

Averting my gaze from him, I settle on everyone else who stares up at me. I paste a smile that is too joyful to be seen at seven o'clock in the morning on a Wednesday. I take the last remaining step, placing my sock-clad feet on the leveled wooden floors, sauntering over to Brooklynn.

I throw my arm over her smaller frame in a cordial, one-sided hug. "Good mornin' Brooklynn. How are you?" I smile down at her and even though she doesn't show it, I know she is secretly plotting her next move. Something that might end with me being injured because of my phony peppiness this morning.

There may be something wrong with me. I am much happier than usual. It is like I woke up and the old me is back, but I am not complaining. After the betrayal of both my boyfriend and best friend, I need something... continuatively in my life. Something that felt familiar, and I was used to. I didn't realize it until now, but I have spent God knows how long moping and I am tired of it.

Brooklynn stares up at me through her eyelashes, a grimace creeping onto her face that I know is just part of her theatrics. "What has you in such a good mood?"

I shrug, releasing my arm from around her shoulders and leaning against the counter beside her. "Today is going to be a good day. I can sense it in my bones."

Brooklynn narrows her eyes at me, a choked laugh falling from my lips. She then nods slowly. "Right, well, let me have a cup of coffee and you can elaborate on this... feeling you have in your bones."

I chuckle, accepting the warm coffee cup Holden just handed to me, murmuring a polite thank you, that he returns with a lopsided grin. "If I elaborate, the feeling won't last. Life lessons with Brinley." I wink at her with a playful smile, taking a languid sip of the steaming coffee in my hand. The liquid burns my mouth slightly, but I ignore it, kind of enjoying the pain it inflicted.

"Are you coming out on the slopes today?" Brooklynn asks, sipping on the coffee cup she has in her hands as well.

Without noticing I do it, I glimpse at Malachi behind Brooklynn. I can feel his gaze burning into me upon such a simple question. And when I look back, sure enough, our eyes connect. I hold it there, momentarily frozen in place. Before shaking my head, answering Brooklynn's question and ridding my mind of any thoughts of Malachi.

I still cannot believe the agreement I proposed to him last night. But what shocked me more than my actions was the fact that he agreed to it.

"I don't think so. My legs are a bit..." I trail off, searching for the right word, "... sore."

Lies.

I don't know what compels me to tell her such a petty lie. Though there is some truth to my words, it just isn't because of what I am sure she is thinking. My legs are sore but I am also going to spend the day at home, catching up on some school work and working on my application to my dream medical school. And maybe, just maybe, if I have enough time, I will go explore the ski village Brooklynn came home raving about.