chapter fifteen

INTO THE STARS
———
BRINLEY

Fucktard - where the fuck are you?

I let out a laugh. Not because this message is at all comical, but because he believes he can have any insight into my life. Fucking entitled dickhead, if you ask me.

Leaving the message on opened, I pretend I never saw it in the first place and erase it from my memory almost immediately. I throw it to the other side of the lounge I am currently situated on.

I notice Holden duck in my periphery, though my phone was nowhere near his head. "Everything okay?" he breathes out with a slight chuckle in his voice.

"Keep that until further notice. And if there are any new messages, respond and pretend it is a wrong number," I advise him.

Holden smiles, sliding the phone into his hand and waving it a little. "Safe with me. But may I ask, why?"

I roll my eyes. Not at Holden, in particular, but at the thought that Ben was even thinking of looking for me. "The dickhead I call an ex. He messaged me for the first time since we broke up. Kind of forgot I even forgot I had his number on my phone."

At this point, I don't even know what I am shocked about. In no way, shape, or form did I expect Ben to leave things between us the way they were. Purely platonic. That's what we are right now. And as it shall remain.

"Just block him, then."

I shoot him a look, saying with my eyes that that is the most ridiculous idea I have ever heard of. "No."

I do have to say; I have thought about it but have yet to follow through. Not because I'm too scared to do it, but because if I block him, it is almost like an automatic win for him. He cheated on me and I am not letting him feel like he somehow won by hurting me. He deserves to feel defeated and wallow in his sorrows, knowing he lost something a lot better than what he could ever gain.

Holden releases a noise that sounds like a chuckle mixed with disbelief. "Explain. Please."

Turning to face him on the couch and crossing my legs beneath me, I capture his confused eyes. "Well, blocking him would show weakness. It proves to him that what he did to me affected me. I don't want that. It gives him power and control and that is the last thing he needs."

Holden's head moves in a slow-paced nod. "Right," he drawls.

"He cheated on me. With my best friend, might I add. He needs to realize his mistake and acknowledge that he lost something better than what he could have gained," I continue to explain. "Do you understand?"

Holden stares at me for a beat, inclining me to believe he actually understands what I am saying. Just as I think the moment to refute has been lost, he shakes his head. "Not at all."

I pat him on the shoulder. "It's alright. You'll understand eventually. It is just logic."

"I don't think it is." He laughs, tucking my phone into his pocket.

"Just keep my phone safe and do not, and I repeat, do not block him." I point a finger at him, warning him.

He raises his hands in defense, soon dropping them as I hear a vibration. Holden pulls my phone out of his pocket and releases a snort. "Creative name."

I roll my eyes, a playful smile tugging at my lips. "There are so many other things I could use to describe that lame excuse of a man. I picked the kindest option."

"Tell me how you really feel," Holden jokes.

"How much time do you have?" I check my wrist and my imaginary watch. "Might take three to five business days to complete."