chapter ten

INTO THE STARS
———
BRINLEY

The whirring of the blender shocks me, even though I was anticipating it. It seems to get louder and louder every single time I do it.

Watching as the ingredients blend never fails to amuse me, though. It's the little things in life. The color of the strawberries always overrules anything else in there. What used to be bananas, strawberries, protein powder, almond milk, and ice has now turned into a delicious smoothie.

After my morning run, smoothies are my go-to. Though they may not make a complete meal, I still love them.

This morning, I worked myself a little harder than usual. Going on runs in the morning has always been something I have done for as long as I could remember, but as of recently, I haven't found the motivation to do it.

It's too bad, honestly. This morning was grueling but therapeutic. I put all my built-up emotions into my run and it paid off. I ran four miles, which is more than I would typically do .

Amongst the whirring of the blender, I barely notice the front door opening and closing as Brooklynn enters. So when I turn around to face the island bench and find Brooklynn sitting right at the bench, saying it scared me would be an understatement.

"Jesus Christ!" I breathe out, resting my hand on my racing heart. I shut off the blender, my smoothie already finished by the time I acknowledge Brooklynn's presence. "You scared the shit out of me."

"Sorry." Brooklynn winces.

I pour my smoothie concoction into a tall, narrow glass. "How was your night?"

Brooklynn shrugs. "It was nice. We just chilled, ordered some pizza, and watched a movie. You'd be pleased to know Aidan convinced me to watch a Marvel movie with him."

I smile, placing a metal straw into my drink before taking a small sip. "The real question now is whether or not you enjoyed it."

Brooklynn shrugs again, but I can see the smile peeking through her face. She definitely enjoyed it.

"Little liar." I laugh and she finally lets her smile loose.

Changing the subject, Brooklynn says, "Have you heard about next week?"

Next week, if I recall correctly, all classes and lectures are being dismissed. I have no idea why, but all I know is that the reasoning is disclosed.

"Yeah, I think so. One of my professors mentioned it to me a couple of days ago. To be honest, I don't know what I am going to do. I think I might use the extra time to study ahead. I have an exam in one of my harder classes in a few weeks," I say, more so to myself, plotting out what I am going to do for an entire week in my head.

Brooklynn perks up, her brown eyes gazing at me. "So you aren't busy, then?"

I shake my head, taking another—much longer—sip of my smoothie. This is God's gift to humans.

Brooklynn sighs in relief. Relief for I don't know what, but she does. "Well, Tyson—Aidan's roommate—had this crazy plan. Not that crazy because I agreed to it, but whatever. Anyway, his mom has a rich new boyfriend, supposedly, and has offered his cabin to us—us being Aidan and his roommates—for the week. I think we are going to go snowboarding or skiing, either or. I just thought I should let you know."

"Why does it feel like you are asking me for permission to go?" I release a lighthearted chuckle. "I hope you have fun. It sounds like a fun trip."

"Aidan and I did some talking last night. Before the movie and after the meeting." My eyebrows tip down. What meeting and what is she getting at? "Okay, what I am trying to say is that Aidan and I had a discussion and were wondering if you were up for it."