chapter thirty-four

INTO THE STARS
———
MALACHI

"Can you shut the fuck up?"

"Get this guy a gag to keep his mouth occupied."

Tyson goes silent, muting the radio just as Holden reaches a red light. He swivels his body in the passenger seat, staring me in the eyes.

I give him a deadpan look, but when he doesn't turn away, I raise an eyebrow. "Into choking now, are we, Hart?" I tease with a mocking smile.

"I fucking hate you, Creed." He rolls his eyes, resuming the third Taylor Swift song of this car ride.

The current song has something to do with riding in a car, motels, and traitors, but my attention span isn't long enough to gauge anything besides that. And even if it was, that isn't what is occupying my mind right now.

The sun is setting below the horizon; the days getting longer the closer we get to the warmer months, casting the sky in a plethora of pastel colors that I can keep my attention on. Tonight, amid my personal time after training, or "moping time" as Tyson labeled it, Holden had told us we were going home as a ploy, as it turns out.

Where we are going is a mystery. Except for Holden.

"Fucking idiot!" Holden blurts in frustration, his arms flailing out just as a car cuts in front of him without warning.

From beside me, Aidan snorts, his gaze entirely too entranced by his phone and I know Holden's road rage did not entertain him nor Tyson's appalling singing, but by whatever he is staring at.

"So this is me swallowing my pride," Tyson belts, instantaneously receiving glares from everyone in the car but he doesn't take a hint, "standing in front of you, saying I'm sorry for that night."

I am seriously considering that gag and not for myself.

Holden, more aggressive than necessary, shuts off the music, glaring at Tyson. "You can either pay for singing lessons or pay for everyone within the vicinity of you right now and their hearing aids."

Tyson cracks a slight smile, but when no one else interjects, he sinks into his seat. Truth be told, the music wasn't that bad, but I don't think I'll be able to listen to it without thinking of Tyson's horrendous voice now.

The air in the car was so quiet that you could hear a pin drop, leaving for a very awkward few moments. Holden regains his typical, calm composure; Aidan has disconnected from the world, still looking too interested in his phone, and Tyson... well, Tyson is unusually hushed, which is quite peaceful, frankly. He, too, is staring at his phone and if I was in a tender mood, I would pry, but I'm not.

"Meyer." Holden glimpses at me in the rearview mirror, prompting me to continue. "Where are we going?"

In Holden's moment of hesitation to respond, the car slows and I peruse my whereabouts, caught off guard by how quick the car drive was in reality. We were on the farther side of campus when we left from training, which is where the soccer fields are situated. The usual drive to Miller's, though since last being here, has been renamed as White Horse Tavern for whatever reason.

The place has been undergoing renovations for about a year or so, but I didn't realize a rebranding was in the works for them too. Although it has always been the place to attract USC students, this place has upped its game on the business side of things since the renovations. It is like a whole new place, truthfully.

"How does a night out sound?" Holden announces, as if we hadn't connected the dots.

He doesn't wait for a response before sidling out of the car and making his way to the entrance of the bar, never once sparing the car a glance. I swing my legs out the car door, following in the footsteps of Holden.