chapter seventeen

INTO THE STARS
———
BRINLEY

I don't think there has ever been a moment in my life where I have felt quite like this, where my body has felt like this. So alive and electric, like I am just waiting to detonate into a pile of dust, never to be seen again.

There is no correct way to describe what is happening to my body right now. Since when has a kiss made me feel like... a giant pile of mush?

No one else's lips have ever compared to the feeling Malachi's has just evoked in me right now, at this moment. I am high off the sensation alone.

Did his lips feel like this the first time? I can't exactly remember, all my thoughts clouded by Malachi and solely him. Sure, I thought he was attractive—more attractive than most—but before now, my appreciation was only base level.

Even after the kitchen incident, my attraction to him was a purely naïve allure my mind skewed together because I forced myself to forget about that whole happening as soon as it occurred.

I think the reason I did that, however, was because a small—very idiotic—part of me felt connected to Ben. The simplest way to put it was that I felt guilty. No part of me should—he clearly didn't when he slept with my best friend—but I had been with so long that being with someone new felt... off.

Sitting there, motionless, in the hot tub, I am taken aback. The sudden feeling of Malachi's lips on mine was so hurried that I barely had time to process the last words that escaped my mouth and our little stare-off before boom! his lips were smashing against me.

I take a moment for everything around me to settle in my head and when it does; I reciprocate the movements, our mouths moving in a rushed yet synced pattern. His lips and every curve of his body as it presses against mine feel almost tailored to me, our every curve melding together almost perfectly.

His lips press to mine harshly that should hurt, but only furthers the feelings going haywire in my body. I breathe in shallow breaths, attempting to catch my breath while our lips still drive against each other.

I wrap my arms around his broad shoulders, feeling the muscles tense beneath my fingertips. Tracing his burning flesh with languid caresses, our lips disconnect and I miss the sensation almost immediately.

Malachi's lips return almost as quickly as they left and a small, pleasured sound leaves my mouth as he sucks, licks, and bites in the same place on the column of my neck. His knee nudges between my legs and I quickly relent. I feel his strong thigh press against the inner sides of mine and when his knee connects with the place aching for him; I release a moan from the pressure on my clit.

His body stills, but I can still feel his labored breaths on my neck. A moment of silence ensues between us and I can feel my blood run cold upon the tension as I await his next action.

After what feels like forever, Malachi finally makes a move, his head rising from the place in my neck to my ear. "If this is going to work, you are going to have to stay quiet, Sweetheart."

There he goes again with that stupid ass nickname.

I roll my eyes, ignoring the shivers that prickle my skin as his words fall into my ear, leaving it down to the cold weather. Instead of retaliating, an idea pops into my mind.

Placing both my hands on his tattooed chest as it heaves up and down with each inhale and exhale, I feel his breathing hitch the moment my hands connect with his bare skin. His head tilts downwards as he stares at the place I am touching him. With little resistance, I push him off of me before flipping positions with a slight smirk pulling at my lips.