Prologue

3rd Person POV

Breach

When I was a kid... whenever I'd feel small or lonely, I'd look up... at the stars... wondered if there was life up there... turns out I was looking in the wrong direction.

Metal machine whirring around him, James Becket stalked across the ocean floor, the feel of the suit on his body and the ocean pressing down on him from all directions as he advanced down the side of a massive underwater cliff.

"Gipsy, you have movement on your right, three-o-clock!" Herc's voice shouted over the intercom as the two massive Jaegers advanced through the depths.

"Right flank's clear; I got nothing," Raleigh replied. "James?"

"Nada," James replied, grunting slightly as he felt an underwater sea stack crumble under his 'foot.'

"Left now and moving fast!" Tendo shouted. "That's a Kaiju on Striker!"

A form blurred past them, but too fast to make out what it was.

"I don't see anything!" Raleigh shouted. "It's moving too fast!"

"Eyes on the prize, Gipsy!" James ordered as he advanced toward the edge of the massive cliff. "Six-hundred meters from the drop!"

When alien life entered our world, it was from deep beneath the Pacific Ocean... a fissure, between two tectonic plates... a portal between dimensions... the Breach... I was seven years old when the first Kaiju made land in San Francisco.

Taking another step, James bent his knees, Striker Eureka following his movements, and jumped. Falling through the water, he slammed into the ground, knees bending again to absorb the impact as metal creaked and groaned around him. 

"Let's move it!" James shouted as Gipsy Danger landed behind him, and the two Jaegers advanced once more

"Let's move it!" James shouted as Gipsy Danger landed behind him, and the two Jaegers advanced once more. "Four hundred meters and closing!"

The light of his Jaeger's headlights flashed through the briny depths, and James examined their surroundings as they advanced toward the Breach

As his lights cast over their underwater surroundings, James caught sight of the Kaiju hovering over the Breach in front of him.