Chapter 3: Kill Your Cares

3rd Person POV

Outside the Base

Armored feet slamming against the ground, James (in his Jaeger form), Akame, Bulat, Tatsumi, and Lubbock darted through the woods. Flitting like shadows through the trees, sunlight streaking through the mid-morning dew, the group advanced as silent as darkness itself.

Five Minutes Earlier

"So, you actually pulled it off," Sheele commented and smiled. "I knew you two could do... whatever it was."

James and the rest of Night Raid stood in the center of the main room after the others' return, Najenda sitting on her throne-chair as usual.

"I figured if my spear couldn't touch ya, ogre couldn't either," Bulat agreed, clapping James on the back and earning an almost unnoticeable wince as a bolt of pain shot up the Australian's spine.

Guess those phantom pains still act up, James grumbled internally.

"Well, if it weren't for James, I wouldn't be here," Tatsumi agreed. "That and his rule of... what did you call it?"

"Checking for a pulse," James replied, rubbing his shoulder. "That... and not acting cocky helps." He stared pointedly at Tatsumi, who shifted.

"Just remember that even though you might have gotten lucky, neither of you will ever match up with the rest of us," Mine reminded, crossing her arms.

"And you just remember; you'll never match up to us, short stuff," Tatsumi countered, high-fiving James as the two boys smirked at Mine's reddened face.

"Why, you little—" Whatever Mine was about to say was lost as a grinding sound echoed through the room. Turning, everyone saw Lubbock examining his wrist where a strange circular device was located.

"What is it?" James asked.

"We've got intruders," Lubbock replied, his eyes widening in alarm.

"How many and where?" Najenda demanded, her expression going serious.

"Judging by the reaction of my barrier, I'd say about twelve," he replied, examining his wrist as he used his wires to locate the enemy. "They're getting a little close to the hideout, if you ask me!"

"No one did," James deadpanned, earning an elbow from Akame.

"If they were clever enough to sniff us out," Najenda said, clasping her hands and resting her chin on them, "we should assume they're tribal assassins. Move quickly!" she ordered. "Don't let them leave here alive."

Present Time

Exchanging looks with Bulat as they dashed through the woods, Akame nodded before bolting off, Bulat and Lubbock separating, with Tatsumi and James tailing Bulat.

"You're both still a little new to go up against a big group like this," Bulat warned. "So, try to be careful! The first thing is to let your body get a good feel for the battlefield!"

"Treat them like Kaiju, got it," James affirmed, his grey armor catching the light as the three of them darted through the trees.

"Just don't get too overconfident," Bulat admonished.

"Trust me, mate," James promised, his visor flashing. "I won't."

"And the second thing is..." Bulat went on, moving a bit closer to them as they dashed onto a single path. "Please call me either 'Handsome' or 'Bro'."