Chapter 28: Kill the Reason

3rd Person POV

Abandoned Chapel

"No matter what, I can't ignore Kurome's feelings."

"She's my sister. I'm the only person she knows who can truly understand... what she's going through."

"Do not forget what your mission is."

"I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry, James. I have to settle this... for Kurome."

"I'm sorry."

"Akame!"

A burst of freezing water cascaded across James's face, and he bolted up, sputtering. "What the—?!"

"Thank the ancients, it worked!" Tatsumi said in relief as Mine tossed the now empty bucket to the side while Apex and Chelsea helped James up.

"What happened to you?" Apex asked, picking up on the panicked look on James's face as he looked around. Several memories flashed through his mind, and he tore himself free of Apex's and Chelsea's grasp.

"Where's Akame?!" he demanded.

"That's what we were hoping you would tell us," Chelsea replied, staring at him and taking note of the desperate tone in James's voice. "You two have a fight or something?"

"How long has she been gone?" James asked desperately, ignoring the question.

"Umm... a couple hours?" Tatsumi guessed, and James paled.

A couple hours... and if she's going to those ruins... she's almost there. "I have to stop her."

"Why?" Mine asked, a bolt of unease in her voice. James never panicked. Ever. He was supposed to be the calm one, the one who kept them going no matter the consequences. "What's going on?"

"Kurome sent her a challenge," James explained as quickly as he could while trying to figure out how to get to Akame. She had too much of a head start and she was blocking the Drift, so he couldn't contact her. "They're settling things. Now."

"What?!" The four stared at him, shocked, and the sound of footsteps reached their ears as Sheele emerged from the doorway, rubbing her eyes.

"What's going on?" she asked tiredly.

"Akame's going to fight her sister," Apex explained before turning back to James. "Can't you talk her out of it using the Drift?"

James shook his head. "She's blocking me out. I can't get to her."

"It wouldn't do any good anyway," Mine said grimly. "I've known her longer than any of you. Once she sets her mind on something, there's no way to stop her."

"—only person she knows who can truly understand..."

"Maybe you're not the only one," James murmured, an idea flashing like a lightbulb in his mind. It was stupid; it was dangerous... and practically suicide.

Sheele blinked, and she wasn't the only one. "What?"

"Get Odachi!" James ordered, decision flashing in his gaze. "I need a Breach! Now!"

Akame might listen to me, but Kurome won't stop fighting, James thought as Sheele ran off to get her boyfriend. And if she doesn't stop, neither will Akame... Even if I can stop Akame, Kurome won't listen to me or her sister, but maybe... maybe she'll listen to someone else.