Chapter 29: Kill the Emperor

3rd Person POV

Night Raid

Letting out a small groan, James shifted, the sunlight streaming through the open window. Yawning, he made to rub his eyes, only to find that he couldn't move his arm. His eyes flying open, he found Akame lying next to him, her arms wrapped around his as she held him close, her head resting on his shoulder. Light from the window cast an ethereal glow on her features, illuminating the gentle smile that crossed her lips as she snuggled closer.

James sighed and rested his head against the pillow, staring up at the wooden ceiling. At dawn, the day would begin... the day it would all end. It had been a week since the duel, and conflict between the Revolutionary Army and the Empire had spiked like never before, skirmishes erupting at every village as the Rebellion reached its peak. Three days ago, they had received word that the final battle would be taking place at dawn... and of strange activity moving down the coasts.

The higher-ups of the Revolutionary Army did not know the cause of these strange events, but James and Najenda did and had planned accordingly. While Night Raid snuck into the palace as the Revolutionary Army, led by Najenda, assaulted the Capital, James, Odachi, and Apex would engage the Kaiju. When Fury showed, James would do his best to incapacitate him, so Seryu could break him from Slattern's control using the Drift. As for Slattern... as soon as he made his appearance, all three Hybrids would kill him and then defeat the rest of the enemy Kaiju.

It was a good plan... but James knew Slattern was no fool. He would have something planned; he knew how powerful the four Hybrids (including Fury) were. He wouldn't rush in blind... not without a Trump Card of his own. No matter how this ends... James thought. It ends today.

A jerk of Akame's body snapped James out of his thoughts, and he turned his attention to her as the assassin curled up against his side, arms locked around his body, her face inches from his, her lips parted as she breathed softly, chest rising and sinking with the motion.

Well, this seems familiar, James thought with a fond smile and gently wrapped one of his arms around Akame's shoulders as she snuggled closer, one of her legs pressed against his own as she rested her forehead against his and a bolt of mischief flashed over the Drift.

...I know you're awake, James thought, and a light smile crossed Akame's lips as she somehow pulled herself closer, making no attempt to remove herself from their embrace.

I'm in your brain, Akame replied, gently brushing her lips against his. I know.

Shaking his head as she pulled back, James chuckled. "Alright, come here, you," he teased and pulled her back, bringing his lips to hers for a long moment. You ready for today?

Akame pulled away and sighed. We have to be... don't we?

James sighed. "I guess we do... it's hard to believe it's all gonna end today."

"It seems like it was only yesterday when we first met," Akame murmured.

James chuckled. "You mean, tried to kill each other."

Akame giggled and adjusted her position, pulling James's body against hers once more. "Five more minutes?"

Smiling, James nodded and wrapped his arms around her torso as she rested her head against his chest. Never change, Akame... never change.

Timeskip

"Well, looks like it's down to the twelve of us," Leone commented as she, Mine, and Tatsumi stood at one end of the table, Odachi and Sheele standing opposite them. Seryu leaned against a wall, drumming her fingers on the side of her leg as Koro curled up beside her foot. James stood behind Akame, one hand on the back of Akame's chair as the red-eyed assassin dug into a piece of meat. Lubbock shifted from foot to foot, eyes on the door as they all waited for Najenda. Chelsea toyed with the hilt of her weapon, fingering the pommel while she rested her head against Apex's arm, much to his confusion... and happiness?