Chapter 5: Kill the Dream

3rd Person POV

Night Raid Base

"LOCCENT, Striker's got the ball and I'm on the roll," James reported as he advanced into Hong Kong Bay, waves rushing against his Jaeger as his lights cut through the pouring rain. "Nearing position and awaiting orders."

"Remain in the miracle mile and engage at your discretion," Stacker ordered. "Keep your eyes open; these Category IVs are the biggest we've ever seen both in size and weight."

"Got it," James affirmed and stilled, his Jaeger grinding to a halt as he moved into position behind the other Jaegers.

"Here we go," he muttered and raised his fists, mechanical armor grinding and shifting around him.

Eyes flying open, James sat bolt upright, breathing heavily. Slowly calming himself, he closed his eyes and sighed, a brief memory of Yancy and Raleigh passing through his mind.

"Funny really," he chuckled. "I spent my life fighting Kaiju, and now I'm dreaming about them." Shaking his head, he froze, hearing a soft snore and feeling a slight weight on one of his legs.

Eyes narrowing, he turned and blinked in surprise at the sight of Sheele sitting in a chair, partially slumped over the side of his bed.

What the bloody hell is she doing here? James wondered.

Mumbling sleepily, Sheele blinked, rubbing her eyes and yawning. "Today, you'll be training under me with Tatsumi, James," she greeted tiredly. "I look forward to working with you."

First Akame, then Mine, and now her, huh? James thought. Guess it's her turn.

"Okay, then..." Yawning, Sheele pushed herself up into a sitting position. Reaching up, she rubbed her eyes, unaware of her glasses falling down.

Standing, she yawned. "Good morning, friend," she said, bowing slightly toward... James's nightstand?

Rubbing his forehead, James sighed. "I'm over here, Sheele."

She blinked. "Huh?" Her eyes widened, and she began panicking. "Where are my glasses?!"

"On the chair," James replied, examining the remains of his bandages gingerly. Their medical gear, while not as advanced as in his world, could work wonders.

"...oh." Reaching down, Sheele retrieved the glasses. Placing them on her head, she smiled. "Let's try this again, shall we?"

"This is going to be a looooong day," James sighed.

Elsewhere

"Are you sure it's okay to leave Sheele in charge of James and Tatsumi?" Lubbock asked, taking a bite out of a piece of watermelon as he stood at a long table laid out with lots of food, Najenda sitting beside him.

"Oh, they'll be all right," Najenda assured, taking a bite out of an apple. "I am positive Sheele will take a liking to the both of them, especially James."

"What makes you say that?" Lubbock asked curiously.

"James seems to be quite popular with older women," Najenda replied as Leone set another plate of fruit on the table.

"Yep! That's why I call dibs on being his trainer next!" Leone exclaimed cheerfully. "And if I can't get him, I guess I can have Tatsumi~"

"See? He's a natural talent," Najenda said, nodding.