Chapter 32: Kill the Uprising: Part 2

3rd Person POV

With Akame and Esdeath

Skidding back, her sharp heels digging into the ground, Esdeath looked up and found Akame standing across from her, her breathing labored. Esdeath raised her rapier, intending to attack, but paused. There was something... off, about Akame. A presence... something unholy. Something beyond human.

Shadows covering the upper part of her face as a gust of wind flowed around her, Akame looked up, her red eyes flashing murderously as lightning crossed the sky.

"Well?" Esdeath taunted. "Ready to get serious yet?"

Akame remained silent and held out her weapon. Instead of attacking, she drew it back and rested her palm against its edge. To Esdeath's shock, Akame's fingers tightened around the blade... and she clenched her fist. She yanked her blade down, and a spray of blood followed the motion.

A surge of incredible pain tore through Akame's body, and she fell to one knee, plunging her weapon into the ground for support, head bowed. She coughed, and her head tilted back, a demonic scream escaping her lips as dark symbols flowed across her skin like snakes. A black and purple aura leaked from her body, swirling around her... and the symbols dissolved, melting into her skin as Akame's voice returned to normal.

Esdeath remained frozen, staring at Akame in utter shock as the assassin slowly rose to her feet, head bowed, the dark mist surrounding her body fading away. Impossible... anyone cut from that blade should die... how is she still standing, unless—her eyes widened, and for the first time, a shiver of fear crept down her spine.

Slowly, methodically, Akame removed her blade from the ground as she rose to her full height. The clouds of black and purple mist surrounding her body twisted inward, and red markings spread across her skin, forming on her legs, thighs, arms, and neck. Raising her head, Akame's eyes opened, revealing black sclera, red irises glowing like blood as black markings appeared around her pupils.

"This must be your Trump Card," Esdeath mused, an excited grin spreading across her lips. Finally... a fight where I can go all out!

"I've murdered a lot of people in my life," Akame murmured, her voice low. "Their grief... their sorrow... anger... hatred. Everyone I've ever killed..." She lifted her blade, black flames with purple tips crawling across the edge of her weapon. "Murasame remembers them all." A shockwave burst from her body, dispelling the flames as she assumed her fighting stance, sword held parallel to the ground. "I'll take the full weight of that guilt upon myself!"

Esdeath chuckled. "I'm quite impressed!" she laughed. "You've cast off your human skin. What a fitting perk for a demon sword."

"Even if it kills me... I'll end you...," Akame murmured, and her eyes flashed. "Now!" The ground cratered beneath her feet, and she vanished, reappearing before Esdeath with a shockwave.

Eyes widening in surprise, Esdeath brought her weapon to bear, barely managing to catch Murasame on the hilt of her rapier. Pulling back, Akame spun, and her foot rammed into Esdeath's chest with the force of a Jaeger. A loud crack, and Esdeath was flung back, feet digging parallel trenches in the ground as her General's cap flew off.

Seeming to teleport, Akame was instantly in front of her, her blade crashing against Esdeath's. She vanished, reappearing behind Esdeath as her blade flashed toward the General's side. Esdeath raised a hand, forming a wall of ice to intercept, and Akame disappeared again.

A chill ran down Esdeath's spine, and she whipped around, blade flashing, but Akame was already gone. Lightning flared, and Akame disappeared once more, Esdeath's rapier tearing through the air where she had been.