Chapter 11: Kill the Teamwork

3rd Person POV

Fake Mount

"I didn't want to say this in front of the team, but you've got it pretty rough, don't you?" Wave commented as he and Tatsumi made their way down a beaten path curving around the edge of the mountain. "Let me know if you ever need to vent."

"Uh, thanks a lot," Tatsumi replied awkwardly, glancing back at him before turning away as the two of them paused on the pathway that widened into a gorge. "But I'll be okay; I mean, I was already used to being treated like that anyway."

"Yeah. Trust me; I understand that," Wave agreed. "I just get this weird feeling you and I are kinda similar, don't you?"

"Similar?" Tatsumi asked, turning to him. "What do the two of us have in common?"

"Huh?" Wave blinked, crossing his arms awkwardly. "Uh... I'm not sure how to explain it." He bowed his head sheepishly, images of Bols, Seryu, Kurome, Esdeath, Stylish, and Fury passing through his head. "It's like we deal with the same problems... or at least we are gonna deal with the same problems?"

"Uh, yeah," Tatsumi agreed, bending away awkwardly as images of James, Akame, Mine, Leone, Lubbock, and Najenda flashed through his mind. "I totally get it. We're practically like brothers; you and I are exactly the same."

"Well then, uh, let's work together," Wave offered excitedly. "We can share each other's pain and—uh?"

Tatsumi froze and turned toward him, his expression blank.

"Tatsumi?" Wave asked nervously, backing away as Tatsumi slowly drew his sword. "Uh..."

Tatsumi surged forward, Wave yelped, and Incursio flashed over his head, taking down the spiked end of a root as it stabbed toward Wave's back. "Look out!"

Roaring in pain, a Danger Beast burst from the ground. It looked like a regular tree, but it had a massive eye made of oak and a gaping mouth of sharpened stakes. 

"Whoa! Thanks for that!" Wave said gratefully, whirling to face the Danger Beast

"No big deal," Tatsumi replied, glancing at him. I just saved his life without even thinking about it, he realized. But... I should probably get outta here while I still can!

Wave drew his sword, the blade flashing as its edge caught the sunlight. "They keep popping up outta nowhere!" he explained as more Tree Beasts emerged from the ground beneath them, surrounding them in a massive wall of wooden stakes and tentacle-like roots. "And they don't look edible like the ones on the coast."

He grinned, standing back-to-back with Tatsumi as the two of them raised their weapons. "You ready? Let's wipe these suckers out!"

Tatsumi nodded, and the two surged forward, weapons blurring through the air.