Amnesia

Calum

The doctor had us in his office. Niall, my parents, and myself sat around his desk. The doctor pulled out a few files and started pulling out some papers,"...And this is an X-Ray of her skull. As you can see there's a large crack here, which affected her long term memory in the cortex which is here." The doctor pointed to a coloring book page meant for children. He explained that Evie didn't understand without the coloring page. She had apparently colored it, as well. "She may be 18, but now she has the mind and memory of a four year old. She doesn't remember anything after that. Something could trigger her memory, but until then, she won't remember anything past the age of four."

"So she's back to being four?" Niall asked. He had lost the color in his face. His eyes were red. He was in terrible condition. "She doesn't remember me?"

The doctor shook his head. "I'm sorry, Mr. Horan. Evie doesn't even remember the Hoods. She believes she lives with her father in Sydney."

"She doesn't remember anything?" I asked. "So if I told her about me and my band she would just think I'm crazy?"

The doctor nodded. "I'm sorry."

"Can I take her out?" Niall asked. "She is my fiance."

"No, I'm sorry. She can't leave without the consent of her emergency contact."

"Is that me?" I asked.

"You live in Sydney." Niall told me. "You can't be her emergency contact. It would take you a day and a half to get here."

"Well, it's not you, either." I raised my voice. "How do you feel about that?"

"Boys, please." My dad said. "Who is her emergency contact?" He directed his attention to the doctor.

The doctor took the file off the table. He flipped through a few pages. "Someone named Louis Tomlinson."

Silence fell upon the room. We all had our jaws dropped. The doctor raised his eyebrows, confused as to why we were confused.

"Did you say...Louis?" Niall asked to make sure.

The doctor nodded. "Yes. Louis Tomlinson."

I blinked once than Niall and I made eye contact. I looked back at the doctor. He put some files away and we left the room.

"Why is Louis her emergency contact?" I asked Niall.

"Who do you think I'm calling?" Niall asked, pushing buttons on his phone. He put the phone to his ear and started talking. Louis started putting up an argument that I couldn't make out. Niall wasn't having it. Niall yelled and a bunch of nurses kept shushing him. He didn't listen.

I went into Evie's room, to see if she could talk. She was coloring in a book meant for children. The box of crayons was dumped all over the bed. I walked over to the bed and saw that she was coloring a unicorn and using the color green.

Her tongue was sticking out of her mouth and her eyes were wide.

"It's nice." I told her.

She kept coloring, "I know. Isn't it great? A green pony! I want one!"

I smiled, sitting down. "Is that what you want?"

She nodded. "I want a green one because that's Mommy's favorite color."

I smiled. Her voice hadn't changed and she looked the same, but she acted different. She yawned and rubbed her eyes.

"Are you tired?" I asked. She shook her head, but kept rubbing her eyes. I laughed a little, "Maybe you should take a nap, Evie."