Chapter 24

Izzie's POV

I open my eyes and everything is dark and cold.  I don’t know where I am, why I’m here, or what happened, but I just want to go home.  My eyes start adjusting to the darkness, and I can quickly make out a figure sitting in a chair next to me.  It’s holding my hand.  I want to move or say something, but all I manage to do is squeeze the hand that is holding mine.  The figure instantly whips his head around and looks down at me.  

“You guys, she’s awake!  Turn on the light!  She’s awake!” his eager voice shouts across the room.  Within seconds, the room is lit up and three excited faces are peering down at me.  Several ‘how are you feeling?’s’ and ‘what happened?’s’ are shouted at me from Ross, Rocky, and Carly.  

“I want to go home,” I whimper as everything quiets down.  

“Okay.  Rocky, go get a doctor,” Ross orders.  Rocky rushes out the door and Carly begins deflating an air matress that I didn’t realize was on the floor.  

“How long was I out?” I mumble.  

“Eight days,” Ross states.  “When I woke up and you weren’t next to me, I got so scared.  I called the cops and they told me you were here and some guy named Brian Goldman had brought you in.  It was terrifying!”  

“And kind of funny that Ryan couldn’t have come up with a better fake name,” Carly adds.  Ross shoots her a look and she giggles.  “It is though!”  

“That’s not the point!  The point is that Ryan got to Izzie again!  And I slept through it!  I’m so sorry, baby! I-”

“Ross, it wasn’t your fault.  I was the idiot who decided to go for a drive in the middle of the night.  Ryan hijacked my car and I can’t remember what happened after that,” I lie.  “But I can assure you it wasn’t your fault.”

“I should’ve gone with you,” he sighs.  

“I checked Izzie out, we can take her home now,” Rocky states as he leans against the door frame.  

“Let’s go,” I smile weakly to a sad looking Ross as I squeeze his hand.  Now that I’m taking a good look at him, I’m beginning to notice how bad he looks.  His eyes are red and puffy, his hair is a complete mess, and his cheeks are stained with tears.  

I almost feel bad for wanting to die so much, since I have such a sweet boyfriend.  No matter what happens, I don’t want to see Ross like this.  He seems so ashamed of himself for my stupid decision.  I don’t understand why he cares so much, and I don’t know if I ever will.  

He helps me out of the hospital bed, and stays close to me, making sure he doesn’t touch me.  Rocky and Carly pack up their air mattress while Ross takes me to the cafeteria for something to eat.  I have a few bites of a stale roll and a few sips of water, since my digestive system hasn’t quite woken up yet.  Afterwards, we meet back up with Rocky and Carly to go home.  

We make a quick stop at the restroom, since the water has gone right through me.  I quickly do my business and start washing my hands, when I see a dark figure come up behind me in the mirror.  This isn’t Ryan Silverman behind me, it’s worse.  It’s Brian Goldman.  

Ryan smirks as my eyes widen, noticing his new look.  I didn’t think Ryan could ever look more satanic than he already did, but I was wrong.  His hair is now dyed jet black, and he has tattoo sleeves on both arms of flames and skulls and other creepy stuff like that.  He also has a gold lip ring.  

He wraps his arms around me from the back, and I immediately tense up.  He bends down, so that his lips barely touch my ear.  “Like my new look?” he says in a husky voice.