Chapter 17

Carly’s POV

Tears brim in my eyes as I stare at my sleeping husband.  How could something so beautiful be so disgusting?  Up until a week ago, our love flourished.  It blossomed and grew with every look, every touch, every kiss.  Now looking at him makes my heart shatter into a million pieces.  He reminds me of how the two people I loved most lied to me.  He reminds me of how I have no one left to put one hundred percent of my trust into.  Looking at him nauseates me.  

I shift slightly to move myself off of the bed, but Rocky’s strong arms wrap around me and pull me into his chest. He lets out a groan before burying his face in my neck and resting his head back on the pillow.  My stomach churns as a wave of nausea hits me.  Ugh, I’m hungry.  

“Rocky, let me go,” I whine.  

“Five more minutes,” he groans sleepily.  

“No Rocky,” I growl as I wrestle my way out of his arms.  He gives in with a sleepy grunt and I go to the bathroom and head into the kitchen for some breakfast.  I sleepily grab a bowl, a spoon, and the box of cinnamon toast crunch.  I pour the cereal into the bowl and top it off with some milk.  As I take my first bite, I feel as though something is missing.  I set my bowl down on the table and open the fridge for something new to put in it.  My eyes scan all of the food in the fridge before I spot maple syrup.  That’s exactly what my cereal is missing!  I grab the syrup and throw the top off before pouring it all over my cereal.  

“Did you just put maple syrup on your cereal?” Rocky asks as he enters the kitchen.   

“Don’t judge me,” I growl as I shove a bite into my mouth.  

“Ok then,” he sighs as he makes his own bowl of cereal.  He sits down across from me and I look down as I continue eating.  Suddenly, a warm hand wraps around my chin and lifts my head up.  

“What?” I whimper.   

“I just wanted to see my beautiful wife’s beautiful eyes,” he smiles.  I let out a sigh as I look down at my cereal and begin stuffing it into my mouth.  

“Baby, is something wrong?” he asks.  

“No.  Is something wrong with you?” I retort.  

“Do you want a hug?” he offers.  

“No,” I whimper as I scramble to get up and get myself a glass of water.  If there’s anything I’ve learned from my teenage years, it’s that you can’t cry while you’re drinking.   

“Are you sure there’s nothing you want to tell me?” he asks softly.  

“Are you sure there’s nothing you want to tell me?” I echo.  

“Actually, there is,” he sighs as he runs a hand through his hair.  Finally!  He’s going to tell me the truth!  We can work this out and finally go back to being the way we used to be!  

“What is it?” I question curiously.  

“I love you,” he whispers before kissing my lips.  The moment his lips touch mine, I push him off of me.

“I’m sorry, I just need a moment alone,” I sigh as I walk off and don’t look back.  I just want to curl up in a ball someplace dark and quiet.   I run around the house, into the garage and I curl up into a ball.  I can’t cry.  Rocky can’t know I’m crying.  He needs to tell me the truth!  I can’t make him!  I can’t cry.  Suddenly, I hear a soft knock on the door.  

“Baby? Are you ok?” he says softly.  

 “No!  Just go away!  Let me be alone!” I scream.