1

"Well, this isn't good," I huff out.

The man with the knife pointed at me stares at me in shock. "You're... you're getting robbed right now. And that's your reaction?"

I stare back at him. "Well, I'm not stupid. It kinda gave it away when you said I'm robbing you. Give me your money."

He narrows his eyes. "You're supposed to be scared of me!"

I blink a few times before sighing heavily. "I guess I should be, huh? It's just... I guess I'm kinda used to this. Bad things tend to happen to me."

"I didn't ask for your life story. I asked you to give me money," he snaps, his grip on the knife tightening as he takes a step towards me.

I shrug dramatically, letting my arms flail out to the sides. "Do I look like I have money, Mr. Robber?"

He rolls his eyes. "This is the weirdest robbery I've ever committed."

"First, you try to rob me and now you're calling me weird. You should be nicer to your victims and maybe they'd give you nicer things so you can settle down and retire."

He scoffs. "Who are you to question my lifestyle?"

I open my mouth to answer, but a booming voice echoes in the alley from behind the criminal.

"Never fear! I am here to-"

The man's voice cuts off as he trips over his own feet and face plants on the asphalt.

"Nobody's having a good day, I guess. I'm being robbed, you're robbing someone with no money, and my hero over there has broken his nose," I say, pointing at the man slowly getting back to his feet.

"Like I was saying, I'm here to save you!" The man exclaims as blood trickles out of his nose, his dimples showing as he grins widely. He's wearing a mask around his eyes, which is really weird.

I nod approvingly. "Thanks for joining the party, dimples."

"I'm out of here. You're both freaks!" The robber exclaims as he shoves past me, running away as fast as he can go.

I trip over a glass bottle and land right on my butt.

"Ah! I'll save you for real this time!" The dimpled guy exclaims as he runs forward and helps me up.

"Gee, what would I have done without your noble help?" I say sarcastically, rolling my eyes as I dust my jeans off and then rub my sore butt.

"Always here to help a damsel in distress!" He says, pushing his chest out proudly.

I snort in laughter. "What are you, some Marvel reject superhero?"

"I am RM! Your neighborhood superhero," he says, holding his hand out for me to shake.

"You hit your head a little hard, huh?" I say, an uncomfortable smile plastered on my face as I shake his hand.

"I'm seriously a superhero! I have powers and everything," he says, pouting dramatically.

"Sure ya do, dimples. Listen, I'm going to go home and shower since my butt just gave this nasty alleyway a high five. If you'll excuse me..."

"Wait, I-"

He stops mid-sentence, holding his finger up, a weird look on his face.

I look at him expectantly.

"ACHOO!"

He sneezes, and not only does more blood spray from his injured nose...

Flames eject from his mouth.

"What the fuck?!" I scream, jumping back and I manage to trip over the same glass bottle and my butt goes on a second date with the concrete.

"Excuse me!" He says in a cute voice before grinning down at me as if he didn't just become a human blowtorch.

"Excuse- BOY YOU JUST SNEEZED FLAMES!" I scream as I get up from the ground again.

"Oh. I told you I had powers," he shrugs nonchalantly. "Just not... normal powers."

I stare at him in disbelief, mouth hanging open.

"I can also become invisible!" He says excitedly. "Well, kind of."

"Kind of?" I say, surprised my voice is still working.

He sighs. "Might as well show you since I accidentally showed you one of my powers already."

Suddenly, he's gone.

Well, except for his left arm.

His left arm is dangling there in the air, awkward and really freaking me out.

He comes back into view. "My left arm just... doesn't do it."

After a moment of tense silence, I burst into a fit of laughter.

The kind of laughter that makes you bend over because of the pain in your stomach muscles.

"You... you're..." I try to speak but the laughter refuses to let up.

He pouts. "Rude."

"You're a superhero who can sneeze flames and can make yourself invisible except for your left arm," I manage to get out through my laughter. "And when you tried to save me, you literally face planted!"

"I'm kind of clumsy, okay?" He says, crossing his arms over his chest.

"I like you. You're funny," I say, patting him on the shoulder.

"I have literally not said a single joke since we've met, lady," he says angrily.

"Let's be friends, dimples. You know, I'm actually kind of clumsy too!" I exclaim, still laughing as I turn around to walk down the alley.

I'm laughing so much I don't watch where I'm stepping.

So I trip over the bottle again.

And I face plant on the ground.

"Kind of clumsy?" He snorts as he helps me up again. "What's your name, by the way?"

"Isla," I groan out in pain as I wipe blood from my nose.

"Let's go get some food, Isla. And maybe try watching where you're walking?"

I scoff. "At least I tripped over something. You literally tripped on... what? Your ego?"

"Clumsy and savage. You're interesting, Isla."

"No, I'm amazing."

"Wow, and conceited."

"You said something about food, dimples?" I ask, snapping my fingers in his face.

He laughs. "And hungry. Got it. Let's go."

He grins at me before gesturing for me to follow him out of the alley.

"I'm not eating anywhere with you wearing that mask. It's weird," I say from behind him.

"I don't trust you to know my true identity!" He exclaims over his shoulder as we walk along the sidewalk, people throwing curious and concerned glances at the masked man with a bloody nose and me following behind him, also with a bloody nose.

Two clumsy people becoming friends?

And one of them can sneeze actual flames and become (mostly) invisible?

And the other one has notoriously bad luck with everything in life?

Oh, what a disaster waiting to happen.